Blog: Boston Beer's Jim Koch in his own words
Chris Mercer | 8 September 2010
Boston Beer founder Jim Koch has never been one to shy away from colourful comments, which always makes life easier for us media types. Here is a blog dedicated to Koch quotes from his performance at this week's Barclay's Back-To-School conference.
On beer in general: "My rule is always one beer an hour. Men who drink two beers a day will live several years longer than those who don't. God punishes [non-drinkers] by giving them early mortality."
On beer industry terms: "The cheapest beer in the bar is called premium, don't ask me why."
On why Boston Beer keeps a tight reign on costs: "I'm the owner who's there every day and it's my money, and i don't like to see it wasted."
And, on the company's focus on long-term growth: "We don't necessarily worry about quarter-to-quarter results because nobody can fire me. I'm not going away."
On the growing popularity of craft beer: "You may be witnessing the leading edge of a paradigm shift at the high end of the US beer business."
On the prospect of Anheuser-Busch InBev and PepsiCo agreeing a distribution tie-up, or perhaps even a full-on merger. "It's an earthshaking event depending on what happens. Cataclysmic. It's one of those asteroid-hitting-the-earth kind of scenarios and there are fundamental issues with it in that wholesalers are very politically powerful and they could prevent A-B InBev taking advantage of [efficiencies]. Small brewers would suport the wholesalers in that effort."
But, on A-B InBev's general quest for efficiencies in the US beer market: "God love 'em and good luck."
To support the release of its latest report, entitled ‘The Economic Impact of Scotch Whisky Production in the UK’, trade body The Scotch Whisky Association has released this video, highlighting the si...
The Coca-Cola Co is in the middle of a major restructuring plan, affecting jobs around the world. The company is also downsizing its packaging....
One, perhaps minor, consequence of the conflict in Ukraine appears to be a fall in sales of Russian vodka in the country....
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- US spirits pricing went "a little high" - Diageo
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Carlsberg freezes Russia salaries, new hires
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research