Blog: Boston Beer's Jim Koch in his own words
Chris Mercer | 8 September 2010
Boston Beer founder Jim Koch has never been one to shy away from colourful comments, which always makes life easier for us media types. Here is a blog dedicated to Koch quotes from his performance at this week's Barclay's Back-To-School conference.
On beer in general: "My rule is always one beer an hour. Men who drink two beers a day will live several years longer than those who don't. God punishes [non-drinkers] by giving them early mortality."
On beer industry terms: "The cheapest beer in the bar is called premium, don't ask me why."
On why Boston Beer keeps a tight reign on costs: "I'm the owner who's there every day and it's my money, and i don't like to see it wasted."
And, on the company's focus on long-term growth: "We don't necessarily worry about quarter-to-quarter results because nobody can fire me. I'm not going away."
On the growing popularity of craft beer: "You may be witnessing the leading edge of a paradigm shift at the high end of the US beer business."
On the prospect of Anheuser-Busch InBev and PepsiCo agreeing a distribution tie-up, or perhaps even a full-on merger. "It's an earthshaking event depending on what happens. Cataclysmic. It's one of those asteroid-hitting-the-earth kind of scenarios and there are fundamental issues with it in that wholesalers are very politically powerful and they could prevent A-B InBev taking advantage of [efficiencies]. Small brewers would suport the wholesalers in that effort."
But, on A-B InBev's general quest for efficiencies in the US beer market: "God love 'em and good luck."
Yesterday was long. Very, very long. What started with an alarm in London at 0530 GMT ended with a Bacardi eight-year-old nightcap in Puerto Rico at 0730 GMT the following morning....
This weekend, Bacardi is hosting a three-day music event on the private island of Palomino just off the coast of Puerto Rico....
Warmest thanks to all of you who filled in our annual readers' survey this month. The results are very important for us to learn from and look to improve our service to you....
- Scotch's Slipping Crown: Convenient for Diageo?
- Comment - Has Scotch Whisky Jumped the Shark?
- Can Beer Learn from Keurig and Nespresso?
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD
- C&C Group 'puzzled' by Spirit Pub Co rejection
- Diageo partner Beckham turned down Beck's deal
- Whisky downturn slows Diageo's Scotch spend
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- EXCLUSIVE - Mast-Jaegermeister, TWE join watchdog
- Beam Suntory to roll out "Scotch-infused" Bourbon
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Wine in the United Kingdom
- Spirit Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts