Blog: Boston Beer's Jim Koch in his own words
Chris Mercer | 8 September 2010
Boston Beer founder Jim Koch has never been one to shy away from colourful comments, which always makes life easier for us media types. Here is a blog dedicated to Koch quotes from his performance at this week's Barclay's Back-To-School conference.
On beer in general: "My rule is always one beer an hour. Men who drink two beers a day will live several years longer than those who don't. God punishes [non-drinkers] by giving them early mortality."
On beer industry terms: "The cheapest beer in the bar is called premium, don't ask me why."
On why Boston Beer keeps a tight reign on costs: "I'm the owner who's there every day and it's my money, and i don't like to see it wasted."
And, on the company's focus on long-term growth: "We don't necessarily worry about quarter-to-quarter results because nobody can fire me. I'm not going away."
On the growing popularity of craft beer: "You may be witnessing the leading edge of a paradigm shift at the high end of the US beer business."
On the prospect of Anheuser-Busch InBev and PepsiCo agreeing a distribution tie-up, or perhaps even a full-on merger. "It's an earthshaking event depending on what happens. Cataclysmic. It's one of those asteroid-hitting-the-earth kind of scenarios and there are fundamental issues with it in that wholesalers are very politically powerful and they could prevent A-B InBev taking advantage of [efficiencies]. Small brewers would suport the wholesalers in that effort."
But, on A-B InBev's general quest for efficiencies in the US beer market: "God love 'em and good luck."
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- A-B InBev's Global Presence - just The Facts
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- A-B InBev in China - just the Facts
- Diageo readies "not quite as sincere" Scotch
- Craft more about stories than M&A for Diageo
- The Glenlivet leapfrogs Glenfiddich
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- “New normal” sees Pernod target premium in China
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Brown-Forman Corporation (BFB) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review