Blog: Boston Beer's Jim Koch in his own words
Chris Mercer | 8 September 2010
Boston Beer founder Jim Koch has never been one to shy away from colourful comments, which always makes life easier for us media types. Here is a blog dedicated to Koch quotes from his performance at this week's Barclay's Back-To-School conference.
On beer in general: "My rule is always one beer an hour. Men who drink two beers a day will live several years longer than those who don't. God punishes [non-drinkers] by giving them early mortality."
On beer industry terms: "The cheapest beer in the bar is called premium, don't ask me why."
On why Boston Beer keeps a tight reign on costs: "I'm the owner who's there every day and it's my money, and i don't like to see it wasted."
And, on the company's focus on long-term growth: "We don't necessarily worry about quarter-to-quarter results because nobody can fire me. I'm not going away."
On the growing popularity of craft beer: "You may be witnessing the leading edge of a paradigm shift at the high end of the US beer business."
On the prospect of Anheuser-Busch InBev and PepsiCo agreeing a distribution tie-up, or perhaps even a full-on merger. "It's an earthshaking event depending on what happens. Cataclysmic. It's one of those asteroid-hitting-the-earth kind of scenarios and there are fundamental issues with it in that wholesalers are very politically powerful and they could prevent A-B InBev taking advantage of [efficiencies]. Small brewers would suport the wholesalers in that effort."
But, on A-B InBev's general quest for efficiencies in the US beer market: "God love 'em and good luck."
One, perhaps minor, consequence of the conflict in Ukraine appears to be a fall in sales of Russian vodka in the country....
Diageo has jumped onboard Google's latest interactive maps and is opening up the virtual doors to four of its distilleries. ...
A very early start today, with Carla Errazuriz from Concha y Toro's fine wine division picking me up from our Santiago hotel at 0700....
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review