Blog: Boston Beer's Jim Koch in his own words
Chris Mercer | 8 September 2010
Boston Beer founder Jim Koch has never been one to shy away from colourful comments, which always makes life easier for us media types. Here is a blog dedicated to Koch quotes from his performance at this week's Barclay's Back-To-School conference.
On beer in general: "My rule is always one beer an hour. Men who drink two beers a day will live several years longer than those who don't. God punishes [non-drinkers] by giving them early mortality."
On beer industry terms: "The cheapest beer in the bar is called premium, don't ask me why."
On why Boston Beer keeps a tight reign on costs: "I'm the owner who's there every day and it's my money, and i don't like to see it wasted."
And, on the company's focus on long-term growth: "We don't necessarily worry about quarter-to-quarter results because nobody can fire me. I'm not going away."
On the growing popularity of craft beer: "You may be witnessing the leading edge of a paradigm shift at the high end of the US beer business."
On the prospect of Anheuser-Busch InBev and PepsiCo agreeing a distribution tie-up, or perhaps even a full-on merger. "It's an earthshaking event depending on what happens. Cataclysmic. It's one of those asteroid-hitting-the-earth kind of scenarios and there are fundamental issues with it in that wholesalers are very politically powerful and they could prevent A-B InBev taking advantage of [efficiencies]. Small brewers would suport the wholesalers in that effort."
But, on A-B InBev's general quest for efficiencies in the US beer market: "God love 'em and good luck."
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- "Beer and weed are complements" - analyst
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits