Blog: Boston Beer Co "just plain ugly" for TV money man
Andy Morton | 9 May 2016
Jim Cramer, the excitable host of stock-picker programme Mad Money on CNBC, turned his attention on US brewers last week, attempting to forecast which has the most potential for investors.
In the spotlight were Constellation Brands, Molson Coors, Anheuser Busch InBev and Boston Beer Co - all three big hitters in the mainstream channel plus the king of craft.
In the end, Cramer plumped for Constellation, hardly a surprise considering the company's Mexican beer portfolio is on a roll and driving big profits and sales gains at the company.
But he had some harsh words for Boston Beer, which has seen its share price plummet as sales and volumes shrink through increased craft competition.
“Boston Beer?”, Cramer said. “It's just plain ugly.”
George Clooney is about to play Cramer - or a least a fictionalised version of Cramer - in a new movie that depicts a stock-market victim take the host of a Mad Money-style show hostage live on air.
Let's hope for Cramer's sake it doesn't give Boston Beer's management any ideas.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Yesterday, Remy Cointreau posted a strong jump in YTD sales driven by impressive Cognac Q3 performances in China and the US. Here, just-drinks takes a closer look at the company's sales performance by...
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits