Blog: Boston Beer boo-boo with Sam Adams attack
Olly Wehring | 12 November 2007
The Boston Beer Company, brewer of Samuel Adams Boston Lager, has apologised to a mayoral candidate in Portland, Oregon, over the use of his own name in political campaigns. The problem? He’s called Sam Adams.
The brewer threatened legal action against a radio station for supposedly unlawfully using the name Sam Adams in Internet addresses the broadcaster had registered on the candidate’s behalf.
NewsRadio 1190 KEX and Mr Adams were sent letters ordering them to stop using the domain names mayorsamadams.com, and samadamsformayor.com.
However, Boston Beer followed the notifications with another letter, in which the brewer said: “We wish we had learned a little more about Portland’s race for mayor before sending out that initial letter, and for that we apologise.”
The radio station has auctioned Boston Beer’s initial letter, raising almost US$1,500 for charity.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Asahi Group lifts 2016 sales, profits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends