Blog: Bordeaux's Lafite is liquid gold
Chris Mercer | 4 January 2011
A trusty bottle of Lafite would have earned you a better return than a block of solid gold in 2010, according to the Bordeaux fine wine exchange, Live-ex.
The value of the Live-ex Fine Wine 50 index, which charts the value of top wines from Bordeaux's Medoc region across ten different vintages, rose by 57% in 2010 and has nearly doubled in two years.
Bottles of Lafite Rothschild are leading the parade, particularly among a new wave of Asian investors apparently keen to strut their wealth like peacocks on viagra.
Live-ex said last week that its index has put gold in the shade in 2010. The value of the precious metal only rose by 35% last year.
That said, gold remains twice as valuable - at close to GBP900 (US$1,400) per ounce at today's count - and there's not quite the same temptation to consume it.
Here in London, the second Wine Week has kicked off to coincide with UK wine trade event London Wine Fair. ...
Commuting in London is a drag. It’s overcrowded, sweaty and rarely goes to plan. In fact, it’s enough to turn a person to drink....
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Sustainability - Walking the Walk on Water
- The Beer Engine that is Africa
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Belvedere proposes name change
- Brown-Forman eyes family ties with board additions
- Castel acquires stake in Belvedere
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer