Blog: Bordeaux's Lafite is liquid gold
Chris Mercer | 4 January 2011
A trusty bottle of Lafite would have earned you a better return than a block of solid gold in 2010, according to the Bordeaux fine wine exchange, Live-ex.
The value of the Live-ex Fine Wine 50 index, which charts the value of top wines from Bordeaux's Medoc region across ten different vintages, rose by 57% in 2010 and has nearly doubled in two years.
Bottles of Lafite Rothschild are leading the parade, particularly among a new wave of Asian investors apparently keen to strut their wealth like peacocks on viagra.
Live-ex said last week that its index has put gold in the shade in 2010. The value of the precious metal only rose by 35% last year.
That said, gold remains twice as valuable - at close to GBP900 (US$1,400) per ounce at today's count - and there's not quite the same temptation to consume it.
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Is the wine industry confusing its consumers?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Paddy Irish whiskey - The Facts
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Pernod Ricard to widen Our/Vodka sales reach
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- Pernod in talks to sell Paddy whiskey to Sazerac
- Private equity poised for SABMiller Europe buy?
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carbonates in India
- Consumer and Market Insights: Spirits Market in the US