Blog: Bordeaux's Lafite is liquid gold
Chris Mercer | 4 January 2011
A trusty bottle of Lafite would have earned you a better return than a block of solid gold in 2010, according to the Bordeaux fine wine exchange, Live-ex.
The value of the Live-ex Fine Wine 50 index, which charts the value of top wines from Bordeaux's Medoc region across ten different vintages, rose by 57% in 2010 and has nearly doubled in two years.
Bottles of Lafite Rothschild are leading the parade, particularly among a new wave of Asian investors apparently keen to strut their wealth like peacocks on viagra.
Live-ex said last week that its index has put gold in the shade in 2010. The value of the precious metal only rose by 35% last year.
That said, gold remains twice as valuable - at close to GBP900 (US$1,400) per ounce at today's count - and there's not quite the same temptation to consume it.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research