Blog: Bordeaux's Lafite is liquid gold
Chris Mercer | 4 January 2011
A trusty bottle of Lafite would have earned you a better return than a block of solid gold in 2010, according to the Bordeaux fine wine exchange, Live-ex.
The value of the Live-ex Fine Wine 50 index, which charts the value of top wines from Bordeaux's Medoc region across ten different vintages, rose by 57% in 2010 and has nearly doubled in two years.
Bottles of Lafite Rothschild are leading the parade, particularly among a new wave of Asian investors apparently keen to strut their wealth like peacocks on viagra.
Live-ex said last week that its index has put gold in the shade in 2010. The value of the precious metal only rose by 35% last year.
That said, gold remains twice as valuable - at close to GBP900 (US$1,400) per ounce at today's count - and there's not quite the same temptation to consume it.
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Kirin lines up cans for Little Creatures beer
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends