Blog: Bordeaux's Lafite is liquid gold
Chris Mercer | 4 January 2011
A trusty bottle of Lafite would have earned you a better return than a block of solid gold in 2010, according to the Bordeaux fine wine exchange, Live-ex.
The value of the Live-ex Fine Wine 50 index, which charts the value of top wines from Bordeaux's Medoc region across ten different vintages, rose by 57% in 2010 and has nearly doubled in two years.
Bottles of Lafite Rothschild are leading the parade, particularly among a new wave of Asian investors apparently keen to strut their wealth like peacocks on viagra.
Live-ex said last week that its index has put gold in the shade in 2010. The value of the precious metal only rose by 35% last year.
That said, gold remains twice as valuable - at close to GBP900 (US$1,400) per ounce at today's count - and there's not quite the same temptation to consume it.
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- It's not all bad for Diageo - Analysis
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Brand
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Tesco pulls small carton-size Ribena, Rubicon, Cap
- Whyte & Mackay brings RumChata to UK
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research