Blog: Boozing baboons and other vineyard animals
Chris Mercer | 29 March 2010
Baboons in South Africa have developed a palate for Pinot Noir and are helping themselves in the country's vineyards, according to local reports.
The baboon is fast becoming the 'bete noir' of the South African wine industry, according to reports.
These tricksy baboons are munching through Chardonnay and Pinot Noir grapes in the Franschhoek Valley while winemakers' backs are turned.
Unconfirmed reports said that a DVD of the film Sideways was found at a baboon base near to the vineyards.
Baboons are not the only threat to grapevines from the animal kingdom, according to our research (otherwise known as a two-minute tea-break scout on Google).
In 2009, there were reports that Californian wineries were using falcons to ward off starlings intent on snaffling grapes.
There are also reports of deer stalking vineyards, while who could forget the tale of raccoons running amok through German vines in 2005?
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research