Blog: Boozing baboons and other vineyard animals
Chris Mercer | 29 March 2010
Baboons in South Africa have developed a palate for Pinot Noir and are helping themselves in the country's vineyards, according to local reports.
The baboon is fast becoming the 'bete noir' of the South African wine industry, according to reports.
These tricksy baboons are munching through Chardonnay and Pinot Noir grapes in the Franschhoek Valley while winemakers' backs are turned.
Unconfirmed reports said that a DVD of the film Sideways was found at a baboon base near to the vineyards.
Baboons are not the only threat to grapevines from the animal kingdom, according to our research (otherwise known as a two-minute tea-break scout on Google).
In 2009, there were reports that Californian wineries were using falcons to ward off starlings intent on snaffling grapes.
There are also reports of deer stalking vineyards, while who could forget the tale of raccoons running amok through German vines in 2005?
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Alcohol brands and the 'better-for-you' trend
- Ten ways to successfully target older consumers
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- Heineken's YTD performance by region - Focus
- SWA's David Frost to leave for foreign office role
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD results - Preview
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends