Blog: Boozing baboons and other vineyard animals
Chris Mercer | 29 March 2010
Baboons in South Africa have developed a palate for Pinot Noir and are helping themselves in the country's vineyards, according to local reports.
The baboon is fast becoming the 'bete noir' of the South African wine industry, according to reports.
These tricksy baboons are munching through Chardonnay and Pinot Noir grapes in the Franschhoek Valley while winemakers' backs are turned.
Unconfirmed reports said that a DVD of the film Sideways was found at a baboon base near to the vineyards.
Baboons are not the only threat to grapevines from the animal kingdom, according to our research (otherwise known as a two-minute tea-break scout on Google).
In 2009, there were reports that Californian wineries were using falcons to ward off starlings intent on snaffling grapes.
There are also reports of deer stalking vineyards, while who could forget the tale of raccoons running amok through German vines in 2005?
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Coca-Cola Amatil FY 2016 - results data
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Bacardi takes stake in Ilegal Mezcal
- Heineken hit by Greek compensation claim
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends