Blog: Bloomberg's New York political hari-kari explained
James Wilmore | 15 October 2012
New York City's Mayor Michael Bloomberg clearly cares little for popularity. His plan to ban large high-sugar soft drinks from the city's stores and restaurants has been vilified by many. In the latest twist, the proposal is even facing a legal challenge.
But, although it may seem an act of political hari-kari, it appears to matter little to Bloomberg. For readers not familiar with the political workings of the Big Apple, under the city's current rules a mayor can only serve for a maximum of three terms. And, you guessed it, Bloomberg is in his third term, due to end next year. It's all about the "legacy" now.
Moreover, as reportedly the tenth richest person in the US, with a net worth of US$25bn, Bloomberg needn't worry about finding another job after he exits the role of mayor.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo rolls out vegan Baileys Almande Almondmilk
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends