Blog: Bloomberg's New York political hari-kari explained
James Wilmore | 15 October 2012
New York City's Mayor Michael Bloomberg clearly cares little for popularity. His plan to ban large high-sugar soft drinks from the city's stores and restaurants has been vilified by many. In the latest twist, the proposal is even facing a legal challenge.
But, although it may seem an act of political hari-kari, it appears to matter little to Bloomberg. For readers not familiar with the political workings of the Big Apple, under the city's current rules a mayor can only serve for a maximum of three terms. And, you guessed it, Bloomberg is in his third term, due to end next year. It's all about the "legacy" now.
Moreover, as reportedly the tenth richest person in the US, with a net worth of US$25bn, Bloomberg needn't worry about finding another job after he exits the role of mayor.
To support the release of its latest report, entitled ‘The Economic Impact of Scotch Whisky Production in the UK’, trade body The Scotch Whisky Association has released this video, highlighting the si...
The Coca-Cola Co is in the middle of a major restructuring plan, affecting jobs around the world. The company is also downsizing its packaging....
One, perhaps minor, consequence of the conflict in Ukraine appears to be a fall in sales of Russian vodka in the country....
Diageo has jumped onboard Google's latest interactive maps and is opening up the virtual doors to four of its distilleries. ...
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- US spirits pricing went "a little high" - Diageo
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Diageo H1 sales flatline as Q2 improves
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research