Blog: Bloomberg's New York political hari-kari explained
James Wilmore | 15 October 2012
New York City's Mayor Michael Bloomberg clearly cares little for popularity. His plan to ban large high-sugar soft drinks from the city's stores and restaurants has been vilified by many. In the latest twist, the proposal is even facing a legal challenge.
But, although it may seem an act of political hari-kari, it appears to matter little to Bloomberg. For readers not familiar with the political workings of the Big Apple, under the city's current rules a mayor can only serve for a maximum of three terms. And, you guessed it, Bloomberg is in his third term, due to end next year. It's all about the "legacy" now.
Moreover, as reportedly the tenth richest person in the US, with a net worth of US$25bn, Bloomberg needn't worry about finding another job after he exits the role of mayor.
The UK health lobby is always very vocal on alcohol at this time of year, predictably so, and this year is no different. ...
“Ah, yes, you've hit upon a very sensitive area,” says Thomas, my guide at the Carlsberg Brewery in Copenhagen last Friday....
Experimentation has long been a watchword in the Scotch whisky industry. It is what has given consumers the huge range of ageing options, from refill hogsheads to virgin oak to Sherry butts....
Advertising can be a strange beast. ...
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- just the Ten - Top News Stories of 2014
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018