Blog: Binge-Drinking doesn’t kill people – shoes do.
Chris Brook-Carter | 22 October 2004
Another day, another binge drinking scoop in the UK press.
Returning from a conference in Brussels on “Alcohol and Young People in Europe” on Wednesday, I had to stifle a giggle at this one, though.
The Daily Mail ran a story on the “rising tide of women binge-drinkers who pack our hospitals,” citing a hospital spokesman from the, ahem, rather notorious drinkers’ city of Newcastle.
“We have particularly noticed a rise in young women who go for a drink straight from work and then end up in hospital.” The drinking-related problems, according to the spokesman, “include broken arms and legs … which are caused by them walking around in high heels having drunk too much and falling off kerbs and bashing themselves.”
Oh, I see – so THAT’s the problem. It’s not that they’re drinking too much, it’s that they’re wearing the wrong type of shoes.
“Free pair of slippers with every Smirnoff Ice.” I’ve copyrighted that idea, Diageo.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends