Blog: Biggin' Japan
Olly Wehring | 23 January 2009
While the majority of us in the drinks industry appear to be battening down our hatches for the economic storm edging ever closer, the Japanese seem to be the only one at the acquisition table right now.
First, in October last year, we saw Suntory snap up Danone's Australasian drinks division, Frucor. Then, over Christmas, Asahi Breweries said it has lined up the acquisition of Cadbury's soft drinks business in Australia.
Then, earlier this month, Kirin Holdings readied the purchase of a 43% stake in San Miguel Brewery in the Philippines. And finally, today (23 January), Ashai looks set to further add to its armoury with the acquisition of a 20% stake in Tsingtao Brewery in China from Anheuser-Busch InBev.
That's pretty good going for a country where, for example, the automotive industry is taking a very cold bath - much colder than it is used to. Bear in mind, also, that Japan, like the UK, the US and Germany, is officially in recession.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- US craft beer growth slows again - IRI figures
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits