Blog: Biggin' Japan
Olly Wehring | 23 January 2009
While the majority of us in the drinks industry appear to be battening down our hatches for the economic storm edging ever closer, the Japanese seem to be the only one at the acquisition table right now.
First, in October last year, we saw Suntory snap up Danone's Australasian drinks division, Frucor. Then, over Christmas, Asahi Breweries said it has lined up the acquisition of Cadbury's soft drinks business in Australia.
Then, earlier this month, Kirin Holdings readied the purchase of a 43% stake in San Miguel Brewery in the Philippines. And finally, today (23 January), Ashai looks set to further add to its armoury with the acquisition of a 20% stake in Tsingtao Brewery in China from Anheuser-Busch InBev.
That's pretty good going for a country where, for example, the automotive industry is taking a very cold bath - much colder than it is used to. Bear in mind, also, that Japan, like the UK, the US and Germany, is officially in recession.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research