Blog: Biggin' Japan
Olly Wehring | 23 January 2009
While the majority of us in the drinks industry appear to be battening down our hatches for the economic storm edging ever closer, the Japanese seem to be the only one at the acquisition table right now.
First, in October last year, we saw Suntory snap up Danone's Australasian drinks division, Frucor. Then, over Christmas, Asahi Breweries said it has lined up the acquisition of Cadbury's soft drinks business in Australia.
Then, earlier this month, Kirin Holdings readied the purchase of a 43% stake in San Miguel Brewery in the Philippines. And finally, today (23 January), Ashai looks set to further add to its armoury with the acquisition of a 20% stake in Tsingtao Brewery in China from Anheuser-Busch InBev.
That's pretty good going for a country where, for example, the automotive industry is taking a very cold bath - much colder than it is used to. Bear in mind, also, that Japan, like the UK, the US and Germany, is officially in recession.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Signs of life in Japan's beer market - Comment
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Bacardi takes stake in Ilegal Mezcal
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends