Blog: Biggin' Japan
Olly Wehring | 23 January 2009
While the majority of us in the drinks industry appear to be battening down our hatches for the economic storm edging ever closer, the Japanese seem to be the only one at the acquisition table right now.
First, in October last year, we saw Suntory snap up Danone's Australasian drinks division, Frucor. Then, over Christmas, Asahi Breweries said it has lined up the acquisition of Cadbury's soft drinks business in Australia.
Then, earlier this month, Kirin Holdings readied the purchase of a 43% stake in San Miguel Brewery in the Philippines. And finally, today (23 January), Ashai looks set to further add to its armoury with the acquisition of a 20% stake in Tsingtao Brewery in China from Anheuser-Busch InBev.
That's pretty good going for a country where, for example, the automotive industry is taking a very cold bath - much colder than it is used to. Bear in mind, also, that Japan, like the UK, the US and Germany, is officially in recession.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Analysts upbeat on Pernod Ricard's US success
- Bacardi rolls out new Oakheart rum packs to US
- Seedlip eyes global growth with export deal
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- Beam Suntory workers end Jim Beam strike
- Boston Beer Co outlines Samuel Adams innovation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends