Blog: Bidders alert for Rémy Cointreau Champagne sale
Chris Mercer | 15 November 2010
Rémy Cointreau's announcement that it may sell its Champagne business will doubtless have pricked a few ears in the drinks sector.
It's not every day that established brands such as Piper-Heidsieck and Charles Heidsieck come around. Potential suitors are bound to watch Rémy Cointreau very closely following its statement today.
The group could not be reached for further comment on its strategic thinking, so we are left to speculate on the motives for a sale. Rémy's Champagne sales suffered more than most in the first half of 2009, falling by 42% in value, and sales have not recovered to anything near the pre-crisis mark so far in 2010.
That said, Champagne is one of the most cyclical of drinks categories and its long-term prospects remain bright. Rémy's portfolio is limited and a sale could represent a big bet on China's Cognac market. We watch with interest...
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Asahi Group lifts 2016 sales, profits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends