Blog: Bidders alert for Rémy Cointreau Champagne sale
Chris Mercer | 15 November 2010
Rémy Cointreau's announcement that it may sell its Champagne business will doubtless have pricked a few ears in the drinks sector.
It's not every day that established brands such as Piper-Heidsieck and Charles Heidsieck come around. Potential suitors are bound to watch Rémy Cointreau very closely following its statement today.
The group could not be reached for further comment on its strategic thinking, so we are left to speculate on the motives for a sale. Rémy's Champagne sales suffered more than most in the first half of 2009, falling by 42% in value, and sales have not recovered to anything near the pre-crisis mark so far in 2010.
That said, Champagne is one of the most cyclical of drinks categories and its long-term prospects remain bright. Rémy's portfolio is limited and a sale could represent a big bet on China's Cognac market. We watch with interest...
This weekend sees yet another “International Day” for a drinks category. Lucky us. Anyway, ahead of Sunday’s International Cachaça Day, here’s a wealth of information on Brazil’s national spirit, cour...
In yet one more sign that The Coca-Cola Co is losing its lustre, the soft drinks maker has, for the first time, fallen out of the top ten of a 'world's biggest brands' ranking....
What a week for stats! Yesterday, the Beverage Marketing Corporation released figures to show the bottled water market had more than doubled over the past 15 years in the US....
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- Is there a future for the global beer brand?
- How soft drinks can win big with adult consumers
- Global director int'l brands, Heineken - Interview
- Non-Scotch Whisky Essentials, Part I
- The UK Referendum - just-drinks Live Blog
- Aldi dealt alcohol sales blow in Australia
- Maxxium eyes US$1.4bn opportunity in UK spirits
- SABMiller confirms price paid for Meantime
- Ex-William Grant CEO Stella David re-joins Bacardi
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends