Blog: Bidders alert for Rémy Cointreau Champagne sale
Chris Mercer | 15 November 2010
Rémy Cointreau's announcement that it may sell its Champagne business will doubtless have pricked a few ears in the drinks sector.
It's not every day that established brands such as Piper-Heidsieck and Charles Heidsieck come around. Potential suitors are bound to watch Rémy Cointreau very closely following its statement today.
The group could not be reached for further comment on its strategic thinking, so we are left to speculate on the motives for a sale. Rémy's Champagne sales suffered more than most in the first half of 2009, falling by 42% in value, and sales have not recovered to anything near the pre-crisis mark so far in 2010.
That said, Champagne is one of the most cyclical of drinks categories and its long-term prospects remain bright. Rémy's portfolio is limited and a sale could represent a big bet on China's Cognac market. We watch with interest...
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- Jose Cuervo applies to go public
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends