Blog: Bidders alert for Rémy Cointreau Champagne sale
Chris Mercer | 15 November 2010
Rémy Cointreau's announcement that it may sell its Champagne business will doubtless have pricked a few ears in the drinks sector.
It's not every day that established brands such as Piper-Heidsieck and Charles Heidsieck come around. Potential suitors are bound to watch Rémy Cointreau very closely following its statement today.
The group could not be reached for further comment on its strategic thinking, so we are left to speculate on the motives for a sale. Rémy's Champagne sales suffered more than most in the first half of 2009, falling by 42% in value, and sales have not recovered to anything near the pre-crisis mark so far in 2010.
That said, Champagne is one of the most cyclical of drinks categories and its long-term prospects remain bright. Rémy's portfolio is limited and a sale could represent a big bet on China's Cognac market. We watch with interest...
Forget gluten-free. Fodmaps are the latest food trend, and if you work in the soft drinks industry it is important to know where you stand with them....
Companies are very protective of their brand image. So it is refreshing to hear Diageo's Garbhan O’Bric, the global brand director for Baileys, speak the unvarnished truth when talking about the lique...
Alcohol companies love a good movie tie-in. A brush with Hollywood glamour seems to give marketers the warm and fuzzies, judging by the number of deals done over the past few years. The new James Bond...
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts