Blog: Bidders alert for Rémy Cointreau Champagne sale
Chris Mercer | 15 November 2010
Rémy Cointreau's announcement that it may sell its Champagne business will doubtless have pricked a few ears in the drinks sector.
It's not every day that established brands such as Piper-Heidsieck and Charles Heidsieck come around. Potential suitors are bound to watch Rémy Cointreau very closely following its statement today.
The group could not be reached for further comment on its strategic thinking, so we are left to speculate on the motives for a sale. Rémy's Champagne sales suffered more than most in the first half of 2009, falling by 42% in value, and sales have not recovered to anything near the pre-crisis mark so far in 2010.
That said, Champagne is one of the most cyclical of drinks categories and its long-term prospects remain bright. Rémy's portfolio is limited and a sale could represent a big bet on China's Cognac market. We watch with interest...
Could it happen? According to this report, a section of the beer community wants to ditch the word craft. They prefer instead the term “Indie” for brewers they believe follow the enlightened path of t...
The global elite were in Switzerland last week for the World Economic Forum in Davos, the annual corporate huddle for the rich and powerful. The CEO of The Coca-Cola Co, Muhtar Kent, was there too, de...
With The Coca-Cola Co stealing yesterday's limelight with its new united marketing strategy for brand Coke yesterday, a Forbes interview with PepsiCo North America Beverages' new CMO, Seth Kaufman, sl...
- Pernod Ricard 's first-half results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard's H1 performance by region - Focus
- Carlsberg's Q4 & full-year results - Preview
- Heineken's FY performance by region - Focus
- Carlsberg's full-year performance by region
- Asahi Group lines up Grolsch, Meantime, Peroni buy
- Diageo completes wine category exit in US
- Pernod Ricard targets US through unit, exec switch
- William Grant & Sons' Ailsa Bay - NPD
- Beam Suntory targets Kenya with Edrington/FIX
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research