Blog: Benevolent Ball - today's got hangover written all over it
Olly Wehring | 16 March 2007
Hearty thanks to all at Chivas Brothers for inviting news ed Dean and I to the Benevolent Ball in London last night. Strangely, this was my first showing at this annual event, held yesterday at the Dorchester Hotel on Park Lane.
Naturally, I dug into my pocket for the charity, with a donation at the tombola, but stopped short of bidding for any of the range of goodies in the silent auction – I don’t want a cricket shirt that some player or other has scrawled on anyway.
A couple of points – firstly, the invitation said carriages were at 0100am. So, what were they thinking letting me hang around until 0230? Poor organisation, I tell you.
Also, I need to apologise to anyone attending who didn’t find any spare miniatures of Amaretto on their tables at the end of the evening – it’s Miss Olly’s favourite, you see, and I had to thank her for the pass-out.
The UK health lobby is always very vocal on alcohol at this time of year, predictably so, and this year is no different. ...
“Ah, yes, you've hit upon a very sensitive area,” says Thomas, my guide at the Carlsberg Brewery in Copenhagen last Friday....
Experimentation has long been a watchword in the Scotch whisky industry. It is what has given consumers the huge range of ageing options, from refill hogsheads to virgin oak to Sherry butts....
Advertising can be a strange beast. ...
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- just the Ten - Top News Stories of 2014
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018