Blog: Belvédère in the red
Olly Wehring | 11 August 2009
Did you think your company was having a rough time in the economic downturn? Well, take a look at France's Belvédère.
Belvédère has reported a drop in 2009 half-year sales, an increase in net debt for 2008 and net losses, not to mention against a backdrop of a bankruptcy protection order.
As French business newspaper La Tribune put it, "the sky is falling in" on Belvédère - or at least, it is threatening to.
The next few months will be crucial for the group as it attempts reach agreement with major creditors over debt repayments. A court hearing is set for September.
On the face of it, sales have been relatively mixed in the first six months of 2009. Around half of the decline was due to an unfavourable euro exchange rate with the Polish zloty, said the firm.
Demand for flagship vodka Sobieski rose strongly in the US during the period.
All is not lost, then, but the road to recovery is littered with pitfalls.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Ashwagandha - The next functional drinks trend?
- Moet Hennessy unaffected by LVMH Dior buy
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Distell acquires majority stake in Cruz Vodka
- Portman Group heads to Tesco for new chief exec
- William Grant names Europe & NA Travel Retail head
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends