Blog: Belvédère in the red
Olly Wehring | 11 August 2009
Did you think your company was having a rough time in the economic downturn? Well, take a look at France's Belvédère.
Belvédère has reported a drop in 2009 half-year sales, an increase in net debt for 2008 and net losses, not to mention against a backdrop of a bankruptcy protection order.
As French business newspaper La Tribune put it, "the sky is falling in" on Belvédère - or at least, it is threatening to.
The next few months will be crucial for the group as it attempts reach agreement with major creditors over debt repayments. A court hearing is set for September.
On the face of it, sales have been relatively mixed in the first six months of 2009. Around half of the decline was due to an unfavourable euro exchange rate with the Polish zloty, said the firm.
Demand for flagship vodka Sobieski rose strongly in the US during the period.
All is not lost, then, but the road to recovery is littered with pitfalls.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits