Blog: Beer marketing - it's different for girls
Olly Wehring | 13 August 2007
News editor Jessica Harvey writes:
The Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) has started appealing to the UK's brewers to draw in a wider audience, with a recent survey showing that around 80% of women in the country have never tried bitter in a pub.
Being a woman, I feel inclined to open up this issue for debate, because the female audience is clearly vastly untapped, with beer companies consistently targeting such male obsessions as football, for example.
It takes more than putting something in a pink box and photographing a gaggle of females surrounding that box, meanwhile, to inspire women to buy into your product. When it comes to men, they tend to buy into something when the emphasis is aspirational - they're keener to 'desire' the product. Women, on the other hand, are much more product-focused, and would like know that they're being thought of more directly when it comes to marketing.
The way to win over the female customer, if you ask me, is to play on the loyalty women show when it comes to making purchases. One way of transferring a brand formerly targeted solely at men, is to suggest to women that they buy the product for the men in their lives. Buy this for your husband, and you're golden, basically.
How to do this? Well, there are many roads to take, but I have a few pinned down. I know how to market products in a male-dominated arena to women. I do. Trust me. Women are simple to figure, if you know them. This information is invaluable. If you want to know how... email me at email@example.com and maybe I'll slip you that secret over a beer some day.
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- US craft beer to hit saturation soon - Koch
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends