Blog: Beer marketing - it's different for girls
Olly Wehring | 13 August 2007
News editor Jessica Harvey writes:
The Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) has started appealing to the UK's brewers to draw in a wider audience, with a recent survey showing that around 80% of women in the country have never tried bitter in a pub.
Being a woman, I feel inclined to open up this issue for debate, because the female audience is clearly vastly untapped, with beer companies consistently targeting such male obsessions as football, for example.
It takes more than putting something in a pink box and photographing a gaggle of females surrounding that box, meanwhile, to inspire women to buy into your product. When it comes to men, they tend to buy into something when the emphasis is aspirational - they're keener to 'desire' the product. Women, on the other hand, are much more product-focused, and would like know that they're being thought of more directly when it comes to marketing.
The way to win over the female customer, if you ask me, is to play on the loyalty women show when it comes to making purchases. One way of transferring a brand formerly targeted solely at men, is to suggest to women that they buy the product for the men in their lives. Buy this for your husband, and you're golden, basically.
How to do this? Well, there are many roads to take, but I have a few pinned down. I know how to market products in a male-dominated arena to women. I do. Trust me. Women are simple to figure, if you know them. This information is invaluable. If you want to know how... email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and maybe I'll slip you that secret over a beer some day.
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
On Monday, 4 May, just-drinks will be closed, as it is a public holiday in the UK....
To London yesterday evening for what turned out to be quite a treat of a whisky tasting....
- Analysis - Will Diageo call time on wine?
- Martell's CEO & chairman, Philippe Guettat
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- Currency woes hurt Latin American FTZs - Diageo
- A-B InBev snaps up Bogotá Beer Co in Colombia
- Diageo considers wine operations sale
- Beam Suntory defeats 'handmade' lawsuit
- Diageo Canada adds new RTD canning line
- A-B InBev approves new chairman
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo Plc in Wine (World)
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review