Blog: Beer in the UK – It’s war … again
Chris Brook-Carter | 11 October 2004
UK supermarkets are already gearing up for a Christmas beer war. Retailers are planning to cut prices by up to 10%, according to the Daily Express, with the price of crates of 24 cans of lager set to slide to as little as £7.99 – or 33p a can.
The discounts follow a summer of poor weather in the UK, which has left large stocks of unsold beer.
With supermarkets planning discounts in the run-up to Christmas, the Express said, wholesalers have predicted that this would add fuel to the fiercest price war for 20 years as customers shop around for the best bulk deals.
With the issue of binge drinking still hitting the front pages on a daily basis over here, the Portman Group told the paper that it was worried by the message supermarkets were sending out.
A spokesman told the Express: “We would like to see retailers include sensible drinking messages at the same time as slashing prices. When running promotions like these, it’s best if they make it clear that a crate of 24 cans is for sharing or consumption over a period of time and not to drink all at once.”
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- US craft spirits could be as big as craft beer
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends