Blog: Beer in the UK – It’s war … again
Chris Brook-Carter | 11 October 2004
UK supermarkets are already gearing up for a Christmas beer war. Retailers are planning to cut prices by up to 10%, according to the Daily Express, with the price of crates of 24 cans of lager set to slide to as little as £7.99 – or 33p a can.
The discounts follow a summer of poor weather in the UK, which has left large stocks of unsold beer.
With supermarkets planning discounts in the run-up to Christmas, the Express said, wholesalers have predicted that this would add fuel to the fiercest price war for 20 years as customers shop around for the best bulk deals.
With the issue of binge drinking still hitting the front pages on a daily basis over here, the Portman Group told the paper that it was worried by the message supermarkets were sending out.
A spokesman told the Express: “We would like to see retailers include sensible drinking messages at the same time as slashing prices. When running promotions like these, it’s best if they make it clear that a crate of 24 cans is for sharing or consumption over a period of time and not to drink all at once.”
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- US craft beer growth slows again - IRI figures
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits