Blog: Beer in the UK – It’s war … again
Chris Brook-Carter | 11 October 2004
UK supermarkets are already gearing up for a Christmas beer war. Retailers are planning to cut prices by up to 10%, according to the Daily Express, with the price of crates of 24 cans of lager set to slide to as little as £7.99 – or 33p a can.
The discounts follow a summer of poor weather in the UK, which has left large stocks of unsold beer.
With supermarkets planning discounts in the run-up to Christmas, the Express said, wholesalers have predicted that this would add fuel to the fiercest price war for 20 years as customers shop around for the best bulk deals.
With the issue of binge drinking still hitting the front pages on a daily basis over here, the Portman Group told the paper that it was worried by the message supermarkets were sending out.
A spokesman told the Express: “We would like to see retailers include sensible drinking messages at the same time as slashing prices. When running promotions like these, it’s best if they make it clear that a crate of 24 cans is for sharing or consumption over a period of time and not to drink all at once.”
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo rolls out vegan Baileys Almande Almondmilk
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends