Blog: Beer cocktails abound as SABMiller gives Peroni a push
James Wilmore | 16 October 2014
SABMiller's bid to widen the appeal of beer is very much in evidence at its latest 'House of Peroni' - with beer cocktails and a bigger bottle for the Italian lager brand on offer.
The company has secured the services of mixologist, Federico Riezzo, at the pop-up bars and restaurants in a property near Holborn, central London. Riezzo has created no less than six beer-infused long drinks for London's imbibing masses to try.
just-drinks was lucky enough to be invited along to the "house" last night to sample some of the Peroni concoctions. Pick of the bunch was 'La Dolce Vista' - featuring Prosecco, pink grapefruit juice and, of course, a good slug of Peroni. With the rain beating down outside, the flavours brought back welcome thoughts of summer. A 'Honey Peroni' and Bourbon-infused 'Antique Fashioned' were also on offer.
It seems unlikely that Miller Brands, the UK unit of SABMiller, will ever bottle or cans these creations, but it may try to persuade select pubs and bars to give them a go.
Also on display was a new 750ml format of Peroni, with new smaller chalice-style glassware. Miller Brands seems desperate to maintain the lager brand's premium image and this is one way of reinforcing that message.
But the idea of a couple enjoying a romantic meal over a big bottle of lager still seems slightly alien, I must admit. Still, full marks for trying to eradicate the 'lad' image around beer.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Signs of life in Japan's beer market - Comment
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends