Blog: Beer cocktails abound as SABMiller gives Peroni a push
James Wilmore | 16 October 2014
SABMiller's bid to widen the appeal of beer is very much in evidence at its latest 'House of Peroni' - with beer cocktails and a bigger bottle for the Italian lager brand on offer.
The company has secured the services of mixologist, Federico Riezzo, at the pop-up bars and restaurants in a property near Holborn, central London. Riezzo has created no less than six beer-infused long drinks for London's imbibing masses to try.
just-drinks was lucky enough to be invited along to the "house" last night to sample some of the Peroni concoctions. Pick of the bunch was 'La Dolce Vista' - featuring Prosecco, pink grapefruit juice and, of course, a good slug of Peroni. With the rain beating down outside, the flavours brought back welcome thoughts of summer. A 'Honey Peroni' and Bourbon-infused 'Antique Fashioned' were also on offer.
It seems unlikely that Miller Brands, the UK unit of SABMiller, will ever bottle or cans these creations, but it may try to persuade select pubs and bars to give them a go.
Also on display was a new 750ml format of Peroni, with new smaller chalice-style glassware. Miller Brands seems desperate to maintain the lager brand's premium image and this is one way of reinforcing that message.
But the idea of a couple enjoying a romantic meal over a big bottle of lager still seems slightly alien, I must admit. Still, full marks for trying to eradicate the 'lad' image around beer.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Earlier this week, US trade body the Brewers Association released its craft beer volumes and sales figures in the country for 2016. Here, just-drinks provides an overview of the craft beer sector in t...
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
In our latest look at consumer trends in the drinks industry, Ben Cooper turns his attention to the marketing of products along gender lines and asks, why are drinks brands struggling to keep up with ...
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Drinks industry's gender failure - Consumer Trends
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Gallo's vineyard footprint in California - The map
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Irish whiskey hails bid to relax distillery sales
- Heineken snaps up Stellenbrau craft brewery
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends