Blog: Beer cocktails abound as SABMiller gives Peroni a push
James Wilmore | 16 October 2014
SABMiller's bid to widen the appeal of beer is very much in evidence at its latest 'House of Peroni' - with beer cocktails and a bigger bottle for the Italian lager brand on offer.
The company has secured the services of mixologist, Federico Riezzo, at the pop-up bars and restaurants in a property near Holborn, central London. Riezzo has created no less than six beer-infused long drinks for London's imbibing masses to try.
just-drinks was lucky enough to be invited along to the "house" last night to sample some of the Peroni concoctions. Pick of the bunch was 'La Dolce Vista' - featuring Prosecco, pink grapefruit juice and, of course, a good slug of Peroni. With the rain beating down outside, the flavours brought back welcome thoughts of summer. A 'Honey Peroni' and Bourbon-infused 'Antique Fashioned' were also on offer.
It seems unlikely that Miller Brands, the UK unit of SABMiller, will ever bottle or cans these creations, but it may try to persuade select pubs and bars to give them a go.
Also on display was a new 750ml format of Peroni, with new smaller chalice-style glassware. Miller Brands seems desperate to maintain the lager brand's premium image and this is one way of reinforcing that message.
But the idea of a couple enjoying a romantic meal over a big bottle of lager still seems slightly alien, I must admit. Still, full marks for trying to eradicate the 'lad' image around beer.
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends