Blog: Beer cocktails abound as SABMiller gives Peroni a push
James Wilmore | 16 October 2014
SABMiller's bid to widen the appeal of beer is very much in evidence at its latest 'House of Peroni' - with beer cocktails and a bigger bottle for the Italian lager brand on offer.
The company has secured the services of mixologist, Federico Riezzo, at the pop-up bars and restaurants in a property near Holborn, central London. Riezzo has created no less than six beer-infused long drinks for London's imbibing masses to try.
just-drinks was lucky enough to be invited along to the "house" last night to sample some of the Peroni concoctions. Pick of the bunch was 'La Dolce Vista' - featuring Prosecco, pink grapefruit juice and, of course, a good slug of Peroni. With the rain beating down outside, the flavours brought back welcome thoughts of summer. A 'Honey Peroni' and Bourbon-infused 'Antique Fashioned' were also on offer.
It seems unlikely that Miller Brands, the UK unit of SABMiller, will ever bottle or cans these creations, but it may try to persuade select pubs and bars to give them a go.
Also on display was a new 750ml format of Peroni, with new smaller chalice-style glassware. Miller Brands seems desperate to maintain the lager brand's premium image and this is one way of reinforcing that message.
But the idea of a couple enjoying a romantic meal over a big bottle of lager still seems slightly alien, I must admit. Still, full marks for trying to eradicate the 'lad' image around beer.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
Experts have said drinks and brands that do not centre around one gender will drive future trends, as modern consumers look to avoid stereotypes. ...
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020