Blog: Beef with wine, that's mighty fine
Olly Wehring | 8 January 2007
When it comes to pairing food with wine, nothing, in my opinion, comes close to steak with red. When I visited Argentina last year (does anyone out there still actually NOT know that I went to Argentina?), my diet consisted of a slab of beef with a drop of red for almost the entire three weeks I was there - “No beef for breakfast? Fine, I’ll be eating somewhere else, then, thank-you.”
With Australia’s wine glut already well-documented, then, how’s about this for mixing the best of both worlds?
An Australian cattle farmer is feeding his cows red wine, to add some extra flavour to the meat. Margaret River Premium Meat Exports is giving its Wagyu cattle a litre of red wine a day for their last 60 days to add a hint of sweetness to the meat.
The lucky cows are getting their wine from Chestnut Grove vineyard, in the Margaret River region. The wine retails at A$20 (US$15.60) a bottle.
That’s actually a shade more than I spend on a bottle at my local supermarket.
I've stopped short of covering it as a product launch story on just-drinks, but take a look at this. Released this month in the UK, Snuffle Dog Beer is already available in 25 markets....
PepsiCo received high praise when it announced it was to launch its stevia-based Pepsi extension True exclusively on Amazon in the US....
Sean 'Diddy' Combs, the US rapper and entrepreneur, has publicly turned against his apparent former favourite Tequlia brand, Patron, now that he is joint-owner of DeLeón Tequila....
The Coca-Cola Co has spent a lot of money recently fighting accusations that soft drinks make you fat....
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Fireball Recall: Putting Out Fire with Anti-Freeze
- Interview: Distell Vineyards & Estates' CEO
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- Diageo unveils Ciroc in Times Square push
- NPD - DeLeon Tequila's Platinum and Reposado
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research