Blog: Beef with wine, that's mighty fine
Olly Wehring | 8 January 2007
When it comes to pairing food with wine, nothing, in my opinion, comes close to steak with red. When I visited Argentina last year (does anyone out there still actually NOT know that I went to Argentina?), my diet consisted of a slab of beef with a drop of red for almost the entire three weeks I was there - “No beef for breakfast? Fine, I’ll be eating somewhere else, then, thank-you.”
With Australia’s wine glut already well-documented, then, how’s about this for mixing the best of both worlds?
An Australian cattle farmer is feeding his cows red wine, to add some extra flavour to the meat. Margaret River Premium Meat Exports is giving its Wagyu cattle a litre of red wine a day for their last 60 days to add a hint of sweetness to the meat.
The lucky cows are getting their wine from Chestnut Grove vineyard, in the Margaret River region. The wine retails at A$20 (US$15.60) a bottle.
That’s actually a shade more than I spend on a bottle at my local supermarket.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Heineken goes from strength to strength - Analysis
- Treasury Wine Estates CEO - Interview Pt II
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Treasury Wine Estates CEO - Interview Pt I
- Heineken FY 2016 by region - results data
- Rum braced for falling volumes in years ahead
- Non-alcoholic Heineken set to hit Europe - CEO
- Beam Suntory revamps Bowmore whisky packaging
- Molson Coors hit by US$500m write-down in Canada
- Molson Coors targets cost-savings - FY16 results
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends