Blog: Beef with wine, that's mighty fine
Olly Wehring | 8 January 2007
When it comes to pairing food with wine, nothing, in my opinion, comes close to steak with red. When I visited Argentina last year (does anyone out there still actually NOT know that I went to Argentina?), my diet consisted of a slab of beef with a drop of red for almost the entire three weeks I was there - “No beef for breakfast? Fine, I’ll be eating somewhere else, then, thank-you.”
With Australia’s wine glut already well-documented, then, how’s about this for mixing the best of both worlds?
An Australian cattle farmer is feeding his cows red wine, to add some extra flavour to the meat. Margaret River Premium Meat Exports is giving its Wagyu cattle a litre of red wine a day for their last 60 days to add a hint of sweetness to the meat.
The lucky cows are getting their wine from Chestnut Grove vineyard, in the Margaret River region. The wine retails at A$20 (US$15.60) a bottle.
That’s actually a shade more than I spend on a bottle at my local supermarket.
The UK health lobby is always very vocal on alcohol at this time of year, predictably so, and this year is no different. ...
“Ah, yes, you've hit upon a very sensitive area,” says Thomas, my guide at the Carlsberg Brewery in Copenhagen last Friday....
Experimentation has long been a watchword in the Scotch whisky industry. It is what has given consumers the huge range of ageing options, from refill hogsheads to virgin oak to Sherry butts....
Advertising can be a strange beast. ...
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018