Blog: Beating the beer belly
Chris Mercer | 5 August 2010
It's the week of the Great British Beer Festival here in London, which means another round of stories about how beer is less fattening than other alcoholic drinks.
The guardians of the long-running Campaign for Real Ale must have been scraping the barrel for news if they needed to drag out this old stodge for another airing.
Firstly, alcohol and health claims is not a winner, if only because I'd wager that most people don't drink booze for the good of their health.
Secondly, take a look round the Great British Beer Festival and you'll also see some Great British Beer Bellies. Clearly something of a marketing problem there.
Thirdly, aren't there better things to talk about? Like how the quality and diversity of beer in the UK is getting better?
Drink beer because it tastes good. Simple.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research