Blog: Beating the beer belly
Chris Mercer | 5 August 2010
It's the week of the Great British Beer Festival here in London, which means another round of stories about how beer is less fattening than other alcoholic drinks.
The guardians of the long-running Campaign for Real Ale must have been scraping the barrel for news if they needed to drag out this old stodge for another airing.
Firstly, alcohol and health claims is not a winner, if only because I'd wager that most people don't drink booze for the good of their health.
Secondly, take a look round the Great British Beer Festival and you'll also see some Great British Beer Bellies. Clearly something of a marketing problem there.
Thirdly, aren't there better things to talk about? Like how the quality and diversity of beer in the UK is getting better?
Drink beer because it tastes good. Simple.
Spotted in Havana this week – a healthy stock of Pernod Ricard's Havanista rum. ...
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Much Work to do on Packaging in the US
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- George Clooney launches Tequila Casamigos in UK
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report