Blog: Beating the beer belly
Chris Mercer | 5 August 2010
It's the week of the Great British Beer Festival here in London, which means another round of stories about how beer is less fattening than other alcoholic drinks.
The guardians of the long-running Campaign for Real Ale must have been scraping the barrel for news if they needed to drag out this old stodge for another airing.
Firstly, alcohol and health claims is not a winner, if only because I'd wager that most people don't drink booze for the good of their health.
Secondly, take a look round the Great British Beer Festival and you'll also see some Great British Beer Bellies. Clearly something of a marketing problem there.
Thirdly, aren't there better things to talk about? Like how the quality and diversity of beer in the UK is getting better?
Drink beer because it tastes good. Simple.
Heineken is gearing up for a product launch in Australia this month. But exactly what the product is, the brewer is not saying....
It's Summer in the northern hemisphere and the beer festivals are in full swing. Even the famously secluded North Korea is letting its regulation-cut hair down with the Taedonggang Beer Festival, name...
Drinks companies that use celebrities and influencers to endorse products via social media could be in line for some rule changes....
A couple of months ago, US-based Saltwater Brewery developed 'edible six-pack rings' in an effort to curb threats to wildlife....
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- How Treasury is rewriting the rule book - Comment
- Drinkable yogurt - The next drinks opportunity
- Coca-Cola India suspends bottling operations
- Has Diet Coke passed its sell-by date? - Comment
- Diageo brands need "fixing and nurturing" - TWE
- SAB shareholders granted AB InBev vote split
- Diageo's Guinness Rye Pale Ale - NPD
- Craft Brew Alliance poised for AB InBev takeover?
- Pernod Ricard wins Ron Matusalem 'Cuba' legal row
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages