Blog: Beam Inc - Hey, fellas, I have an idea
Olly Wehring | 3 May 2013
Did anyone else find it curious yesterday to see volumes of Maker's Mark soar in Beam Inc's first quarter? After all, a 44% leap in quarterly volumes year-on-year positively jumped off the page.
My eyebrows rose even higher when Beam CEO Matt Shattock conceded that the brands performance in the three months to the end of March was related to the company's announcement – and then the subsequent climbdown – that it was reducing the Bourbon's abv.
Maybe, if Beam makes this move every quarter – perhaps with a different brand each time – it would prevent the “cycling tough comps” line from having to be resorted to.
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring William Grant & Sons, the Southern hemisphere's winemakers, SABMiller and Heineken, and Coke Light....
How many beer mugs can one man carry? ...
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Pernod Ricard, The Coca-Cola Co, SABMiller's new Scotch whisky and Santa Rita Estates....
The US state of Arkansas goes to the polls on 4 November to decide whether to end so-called “dry” counties, meaning ones that don't allow any alcohol sales. About half of the state's 75 counties are a...
- Comment - Heineken's 'No' Cuts SABMiller Options
- Irish whiskey eyes a slice of Scotch's global pie
- Guinness: A Great Day for St James's Gate
- SABMiller spurned by Heineken: The start of the en
- Wines of the Beautiful South Ups its Game
- Patron Spirits' Patron Citrónge Lime
- Wm Grant CMO to head Orangina Scweppes Int'l
- Heineken rejects SABMiller purchase proposal
- Bacardi-Martini appoints Southern Europe chief
- William Grant gives Sailor Jerry pack revamp