Blog: Beam Inc - Hey, fellas, I have an idea
Olly Wehring | 3 May 2013
Did anyone else find it curious yesterday to see volumes of Maker's Mark soar in Beam Inc's first quarter? After all, a 44% leap in quarterly volumes year-on-year positively jumped off the page.
My eyebrows rose even higher when Beam CEO Matt Shattock conceded that the brands performance in the three months to the end of March was related to the company's announcement – and then the subsequent climbdown – that it was reducing the Bourbon's abv.
Maybe, if Beam makes this move every quarter – perhaps with a different brand each time – it would prevent the “cycling tough comps” line from having to be resorted to.
There was a big focus on supermarkets and their Scotch offerings this week when a couple of own-brand malts scooped top awards at the International Wines and Spirits Competition (IWSC)....
You can't seem to move at the moment for news of US craft brewers expanding....
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Coca-Cola Life, Australian Vintage, Pernod Ricard and BrewDog....
Beer consumption in Germany - already pretty impressive - will undoubtedly have enjoyed a spike following celebrations over the nation's FIFA World Cup win. ...
- A tobacco analogy soft drinks will want to embrace
- PepsiCo to consider more re-franchising - CEO
- Cleaning China's seedier side brings Remy balance
- Pernod's Portman Group penalty - a coincidence?
- just The Preview - SABMiller's Q1
- Diageo's Captain Morgan Facebook ad banned
- Diageo faces public consultation over W&M sale
- William Grant silent on Drambuie bid talk
- Bacardi to fight US football team legal action
- Alcohol retailer group appoints new chairman