Blog: Beam Inc defends "unconventional" bee campaign
Andy Morton | 28 August 2013
In a blog last week, I highlighted Beam Inc's new campaign to raise awareness for the fight to combat a global decline in honey bee numbers.
I also questioned Beam's wisdom in using humour (the Jim Beam Honey campaign has drafted in fictional Seinfeld lawyer Jackie Chiles to “sue the bears” for stealing honey) over what is a serious environmental issue.
The folk behind the campaign are keen to point out that their unconventional approach is not intended to make light of the matter. Instead, it is to get the attention of Jim Beam Honey's target markets of 20-something males in an “engaging and entertaining way”.
(The US$25,000 that Beam has set aside to fund a research project into falling bee numbers is certainly serious enough.)
The campaign last week was given a bit more context with the launch of its second online video, see below, starring Chiles and his fight to make the bears pay for their pilfering.
So, hats off to Beam for this push and, if I may be flippant for a moment, thanks for reversing one devastating loss - it has been 15 years since we saw Chiles and his idiosyncratic approach to the law in the final episode of the popular show.
Welcome back, Jackie. We missed you.
I must be getting soft in my old age, but there are two drinks marketing campaigns that have recently launched, which have resonated particularly well with me. The one thing they have in common is tha...
The long-running spat between US and Czech brewers stepped up a notch this week after the Czech president described American beer as “filthy water”....
I've stopped short of covering it as a product launch story on just-drinks, but take a look at this. Released this month in the UK, Snuffle Dog Beer is already available in 25 markets....
PepsiCo received high praise when it announced it was to launch its stevia-based Pepsi extension True exclusively on Amazon in the US....
Brown Forman has updated the packaging for its El Jimador Tequila brand, with the revamp set to roll out to all markets....
Sean 'Diddy' Combs, the US rapper and entrepreneur, has publicly turned against his apparent former favourite Tequlia brand, Patron, now that he is joint-owner of DeLeón Tequila....
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Is “Craft” the Next Big Thing for Soft Drinks?
- Petropolis Finally Moving into SABMiller's View?
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Can Coca-Cola fuel SABMiller's soft drinks story?
- Diageo confirms Australia RTD abv drops
- Pernod launches online Ballantine's "experiment"
- Global vodka sales slip in 2013 - research
- SABMiller returns to Brazil with Petropolis tie-up
- Pernod takes Absolut Warhol push to Travel Retail
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014