Blog: Beam Inc defends "unconventional" bee campaign
Andy Morton | 28 August 2013
In a blog last week, I highlighted Beam Inc's new campaign to raise awareness for the fight to combat a global decline in honey bee numbers.
I also questioned Beam's wisdom in using humour (the Jim Beam Honey campaign has drafted in fictional Seinfeld lawyer Jackie Chiles to “sue the bears” for stealing honey) over what is a serious environmental issue.
The folk behind the campaign are keen to point out that their unconventional approach is not intended to make light of the matter. Instead, it is to get the attention of Jim Beam Honey's target markets of 20-something males in an “engaging and entertaining way”.
(The US$25,000 that Beam has set aside to fund a research project into falling bee numbers is certainly serious enough.)
The campaign last week was given a bit more context with the launch of its second online video, see below, starring Chiles and his fight to make the bears pay for their pilfering.
So, hats off to Beam for this push and, if I may be flippant for a moment, thanks for reversing one devastating loss - it has been 15 years since we saw Chiles and his idiosyncratic approach to the law in the final episode of the popular show.
Welcome back, Jackie. We missed you.
Could it happen? According to this report, a section of the beer community wants to ditch the word craft. They prefer instead the term “Indie” for brewers they believe follow the enlightened path of t...
Highfern has added a heavily-peated expression to its Angels' Nectar blended Scotch brand....
The global elite were in Switzerland last week for the World Economic Forum in Davos, the annual corporate huddle for the rich and powerful. The CEO of The Coca-Cola Co, Muhtar Kent, was there too, de...
With The Coca-Cola Co stealing yesterday's limelight with its new united marketing strategy for brand Coke yesterday, a Forbes interview with PepsiCo North America Beverages' new CMO, Seth Kaufman, sl...
It is a bold attempt to regain a measure of control in the ever-spiraling debate about sugar. But will The Coca-Cola Co's new marketing strategy - which for the first time ties all of the Coke family ...
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- Aus wine industry pays price for past failures
- Ten things to know about spirits in the US
- Will value-sharing in Travel Retail become reality
- What's in store for Super Bowl 5 - Focus
- SABMiller hits back in UK corporation tax row
- William Grant & Sons restructures US team
- Diageo's Orphan Barrel The Gifted Horse - NPD
- American rye whiskey sales leap 600% in five years
- Moet Hennessy sees China rebound in strong FY
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research