Blog: Beam Inc defends "unconventional" bee campaign
Andy Morton | 28 August 2013
In a blog last week, I highlighted Beam Inc's new campaign to raise awareness for the fight to combat a global decline in honey bee numbers.
I also questioned Beam's wisdom in using humour (the Jim Beam Honey campaign has drafted in fictional Seinfeld lawyer Jackie Chiles to “sue the bears” for stealing honey) over what is a serious environmental issue.
The folk behind the campaign are keen to point out that their unconventional approach is not intended to make light of the matter. Instead, it is to get the attention of Jim Beam Honey's target markets of 20-something males in an “engaging and entertaining way”.
(The US$25,000 that Beam has set aside to fund a research project into falling bee numbers is certainly serious enough.)
The campaign last week was given a bit more context with the launch of its second online video, see below, starring Chiles and his fight to make the bears pay for their pilfering.
So, hats off to Beam for this push and, if I may be flippant for a moment, thanks for reversing one devastating loss - it has been 15 years since we saw Chiles and his idiosyncratic approach to the law in the final episode of the popular show.
Welcome back, Jackie. We missed you.
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Pernod Ricard's FY fiscal-2015 - Preview
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research