Blog: Beam Inc defends "unconventional" bee campaign
Andy Morton | 28 August 2013
In a blog last week, I highlighted Beam Inc's new campaign to raise awareness for the fight to combat a global decline in honey bee numbers.
I also questioned Beam's wisdom in using humour (the Jim Beam Honey campaign has drafted in fictional Seinfeld lawyer Jackie Chiles to “sue the bears” for stealing honey) over what is a serious environmental issue.
The folk behind the campaign are keen to point out that their unconventional approach is not intended to make light of the matter. Instead, it is to get the attention of Jim Beam Honey's target markets of 20-something males in an “engaging and entertaining way”.
(The US$25,000 that Beam has set aside to fund a research project into falling bee numbers is certainly serious enough.)
The campaign last week was given a bit more context with the launch of its second online video, see below, starring Chiles and his fight to make the bears pay for their pilfering.
So, hats off to Beam for this push and, if I may be flippant for a moment, thanks for reversing one devastating loss - it has been 15 years since we saw Chiles and his idiosyncratic approach to the law in the final episode of the popular show.
Welcome back, Jackie. We missed you.
Ian Buxton has just returned from Cognac. Much as he expected to see a gloomy fug over the region, he was surprised by the upbeat air among its spirits producers....
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
Earlier today, Diageo and Heineken announced the dissolution of their joint venture in South Africa and Namibia with Namibian Breweries Ltd (NBL). Here are the full details behind the transaction....
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- SABMiller's Q1 Sales Performance by Region
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- just the Winners - IWSC Spirits Trophy Winners
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research