Blog: BBPA says goodbye to Hayward
Olly Wehring | 10 March 2009
What is going on at the British Beer and Pub Association, we ask?
The trade body announced late yesterday afternoon (9 March) that CEO Rob Hayward, who has been with the group for a decade, would be leaving with immediate effect.
What makes us curious is that this announcement comes just as the BBPA, alongside other drinks trade bodies, is ramping up its rhetoric and lobbying efforts in a bid to gain more government support for the industry.
The 2009 UK Budget will be announced on 22 April and the BBPA is spearheading a fierce campaign to persuade chancellor Alistair Darling to drop a proposed 2% above inflation tax rise for alcoholic drinks.
Beer, wine and cider were hit with an 18% tax rise last year.
Strange then, that in the midst of all this, the BBPA has lost its figurehead. The blanket radio silence from BBPA headquarters following the announcement makes us wonder if there is more to this than meets the eye.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits