Blog: BBPA says goodbye to Hayward
Olly Wehring | 10 March 2009
What is going on at the British Beer and Pub Association, we ask?
The trade body announced late yesterday afternoon (9 March) that CEO Rob Hayward, who has been with the group for a decade, would be leaving with immediate effect.
What makes us curious is that this announcement comes just as the BBPA, alongside other drinks trade bodies, is ramping up its rhetoric and lobbying efforts in a bid to gain more government support for the industry.
The 2009 UK Budget will be announced on 22 April and the BBPA is spearheading a fierce campaign to persuade chancellor Alistair Darling to drop a proposed 2% above inflation tax rise for alcoholic drinks.
Beer, wine and cider were hit with an 18% tax rise last year.
Strange then, that in the midst of all this, the BBPA has lost its figurehead. The blanket radio silence from BBPA headquarters following the announcement makes us wonder if there is more to this than meets the eye.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Analysts upbeat on Pernod Ricard's US success
- Bacardi rolls out new Oakheart rum packs to US
- Seedlip eyes global growth with export deal
- Beam Suntory workers end Jim Beam strike
- Edrington’s The Macallan 40 Year Old - NPD
- Boston Beer Co outlines Samuel Adams innovation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends