Blog: Battle in Brazil - global brewers on the prowl?
Olly Wehring | 9 October 2006
As I approach my third anniversary here at just-drinks, I am reminded by an analyst of one area I wrote heaps about during my first few months in the job.
Some of you may remember, in 2003, when the Brazilian beer industry provided interesting reading. The country’s second-largest brewer, Schincariol, stole a march on market leader AmBev almost overnight, with a marketing push that succeeded in eating away at AmBev’s dominance. With hindsight, AmBev concedes that it was “arrogant” and “slow” at the time.
In a note to clients today (9 October), industry analyst Bear Stearns is warning that a new battle is brewing in the South American country. This time, it looks like Kaiser, which Molson Coors sold to FEMSA at the beginning of this year, who is going to give AmBev a run for its money. The unit is poised to launch its own advertising blitz, which may lead to another round of market share grabbing.
While Kaiser has its work cut out, AmBev could take quite a body blow if the campaign proves effective. If the global brewers get wind of the preparedness of Brazil’s beer drinkers to chop and change, then what’s not to stop them paying the country a long, possibly permanent visit?
We’ll keep a close eye on how the situation pans out. But, for now, in the words of Bear Stearns: “Let's Get Ready to Rumble.”
The Coca-Cola Co has had its fair share of critics this year, from health campaigners to investor David Winters, who this week called for CEO Muhtar Kent to be replaced....
The UK health lobby is always very vocal on alcohol at this time of year, predictably so, and this year is no different. ...
“Ah, yes, you've hit upon a very sensitive area,” says Thomas, my guide at the Carlsberg Brewery in Copenhagen last Friday....
Experimentation has long been a watchword in the Scotch whisky industry. It is what has given consumers the huge range of ageing options, from refill hogsheads to virgin oak to Sherry butts....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Bacardi, Pernod Ricard welcome US-Cuba deal
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future