Blog: Battle in Brazil - global brewers on the prowl?
Olly Wehring | 9 October 2006
As I approach my third anniversary here at just-drinks, I am reminded by an analyst of one area I wrote heaps about during my first few months in the job.
Some of you may remember, in 2003, when the Brazilian beer industry provided interesting reading. The country’s second-largest brewer, Schincariol, stole a march on market leader AmBev almost overnight, with a marketing push that succeeded in eating away at AmBev’s dominance. With hindsight, AmBev concedes that it was “arrogant” and “slow” at the time.
In a note to clients today (9 October), industry analyst Bear Stearns is warning that a new battle is brewing in the South American country. This time, it looks like Kaiser, which Molson Coors sold to FEMSA at the beginning of this year, who is going to give AmBev a run for its money. The unit is poised to launch its own advertising blitz, which may lead to another round of market share grabbing.
While Kaiser has its work cut out, AmBev could take quite a body blow if the campaign proves effective. If the global brewers get wind of the preparedness of Brazil’s beer drinkers to chop and change, then what’s not to stop them paying the country a long, possibly permanent visit?
We’ll keep a close eye on how the situation pans out. But, for now, in the words of Bear Stearns: “Let's Get Ready to Rumble.”
This weekend sees yet another “International Day” for a drinks category. Lucky us. Anyway, ahead of Sunday’s International Cachaça Day, here’s a wealth of information on Brazil’s national spirit, cour...
In yet one more sign that The Coca-Cola Co is losing its lustre, the soft drinks maker has, for the first time, fallen out of the top ten of a 'world's biggest brands' ranking....
What a week for stats! Yesterday, the Beverage Marketing Corporation released figures to show the bottled water market had more than doubled over the past 15 years in the US....
The Euro 2016 football tournament is almost upon us....
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- The post-Brexit winners and losers - Analysis
- What does Brexit mean for AB InBev's SAB deal?
- Is there a future for the global beer brand?
- Customisable drinks - The next consumer trend
- The UK Referendum - just-drinks Live Blog
- Ex-William Grant CEO Stella David re-joins Bacardi
- UK spirits producers braced for Brexit impact
- Pernod Ricard exec shuffle - Denis O'Flynn leaves
- Pernod Ricard gives Beefeater packaging revamp
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends