Blog: Battle in Brazil - global brewers on the prowl?
Olly Wehring | 9 October 2006
As I approach my third anniversary here at just-drinks, I am reminded by an analyst of one area I wrote heaps about during my first few months in the job.
Some of you may remember, in 2003, when the Brazilian beer industry provided interesting reading. The country’s second-largest brewer, Schincariol, stole a march on market leader AmBev almost overnight, with a marketing push that succeeded in eating away at AmBev’s dominance. With hindsight, AmBev concedes that it was “arrogant” and “slow” at the time.
In a note to clients today (9 October), industry analyst Bear Stearns is warning that a new battle is brewing in the South American country. This time, it looks like Kaiser, which Molson Coors sold to FEMSA at the beginning of this year, who is going to give AmBev a run for its money. The unit is poised to launch its own advertising blitz, which may lead to another round of market share grabbing.
While Kaiser has its work cut out, AmBev could take quite a body blow if the campaign proves effective. If the global brewers get wind of the preparedness of Brazil’s beer drinkers to chop and change, then what’s not to stop them paying the country a long, possibly permanent visit?
We’ll keep a close eye on how the situation pans out. But, for now, in the words of Bear Stearns: “Let's Get Ready to Rumble.”
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Ashwagandha - The next functional drinks trend?
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Pernod Ricard YTD fiscal-2017 sales performance
- Distell acquires majority stake in Cruz Vodka
- Cognac needs innovation at bottom end - Pernod
- Scotch sales set to soar, despite recent struggles
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Flavoured Powder Drinks in 2017: Confronting an Ageing World