Blog: Battle in Brazil - global brewers on the prowl?
Olly Wehring | 9 October 2006
As I approach my third anniversary here at just-drinks, I am reminded by an analyst of one area I wrote heaps about during my first few months in the job.
Some of you may remember, in 2003, when the Brazilian beer industry provided interesting reading. The country’s second-largest brewer, Schincariol, stole a march on market leader AmBev almost overnight, with a marketing push that succeeded in eating away at AmBev’s dominance. With hindsight, AmBev concedes that it was “arrogant” and “slow” at the time.
In a note to clients today (9 October), industry analyst Bear Stearns is warning that a new battle is brewing in the South American country. This time, it looks like Kaiser, which Molson Coors sold to FEMSA at the beginning of this year, who is going to give AmBev a run for its money. The unit is poised to launch its own advertising blitz, which may lead to another round of market share grabbing.
While Kaiser has its work cut out, AmBev could take quite a body blow if the campaign proves effective. If the global brewers get wind of the preparedness of Brazil’s beer drinkers to chop and change, then what’s not to stop them paying the country a long, possibly permanent visit?
We’ll keep a close eye on how the situation pans out. But, for now, in the words of Bear Stearns: “Let's Get Ready to Rumble.”
One, perhaps minor, consequence of the conflict in Ukraine appears to be a fall in sales of Russian vodka in the country....
Diageo has jumped onboard Google's latest interactive maps and is opening up the virtual doors to four of its distilleries. ...
A very early start today, with Carla Errazuriz from Concha y Toro's fine wine division picking me up from our Santiago hotel at 0700....
Ever wondered how a whiskey still gets built? ...
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages