Blog: Barr/Britvic deal - in the can?
James Wilmore | 31 October 2012
What's delaying AG Barr and Britvic cracking open the (non-alcoholic) fizzy stuff and announcing formally they will join together in corporate matrimony?
The two groups revealed today they have been granted a second extension to continue their talks over a tie-up.
According to a previous report, the final detail choking up the deal was deciding on a name for the merged company. 'Barr Britvic' and 'Britvic Barr' are the two suggested candidates. But surely such a relatively trivial issue is not still delaying them?
A source close to the situation pooh-poohed this idea. "It's a simple fact that these things just take time," the insider told me. They also flagged that when the initial announcement was made this was at a "very early stage" and the talks have gone from "preliminary" to "advanced".
One analyst thinks it could be the "conservative" and "pragmatic nature" of Barr's board, set against Britvic's slightly sticky situation. This seems a more likely reason.
The Times' leisure and drinks correspondent, Dominic Walsh suggests the deal is nearly there and "all over Barr the shouting".
Only another month, or less, to wait.
Follow me on Twitter @jamescwilmore
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
It's not even available on pre-order yet, but Apple's latest piece of kit has already got a breathalyser app....
just-drinks is now closed for the Easter weekend....
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
- Is Diageo on the Brink of a Brain Drain?
- SABMiller edges Diageo as beer trumps spirits
- Will Keurig Kold come to Coca-Cola Co's Rescue?
- Focus - SABMiller's FY Sales Performance by Region
- Focus - Indonesia: Prohibition in Paradise?
- Rémy Cointreau eyes recovery after Q4 bounceback
- Carlsberg exec joins Diageo as Africa chief steps
- Diageo YTD sales come in flat
- Bacardi hands global advertising to single agency
- Heineken "concerned" as Indonesia enacts beer ban
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly