Blog: Barr/Britvic deal - in the can?
James Wilmore | 31 October 2012
What's delaying AG Barr and Britvic cracking open the (non-alcoholic) fizzy stuff and announcing formally they will join together in corporate matrimony?
The two groups revealed today they have been granted a second extension to continue their talks over a tie-up.
According to a previous report, the final detail choking up the deal was deciding on a name for the merged company. 'Barr Britvic' and 'Britvic Barr' are the two suggested candidates. But surely such a relatively trivial issue is not still delaying them?
A source close to the situation pooh-poohed this idea. "It's a simple fact that these things just take time," the insider told me. They also flagged that when the initial announcement was made this was at a "very early stage" and the talks have gone from "preliminary" to "advanced".
One analyst thinks it could be the "conservative" and "pragmatic nature" of Barr's board, set against Britvic's slightly sticky situation. This seems a more likely reason.
The Times' leisure and drinks correspondent, Dominic Walsh suggests the deal is nearly there and "all over Barr the shouting".
Only another month, or less, to wait.
Follow me on Twitter @jamescwilmore
Here's a brave move by the folk from Camerata at Paulie's in Houston: a wine-related parody of Summer Nights from Grease....
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring The Coca-Cola Co and Monster Beverage Corp, Constellation Brands, Anheuser-Busch InBev and Australia's wine producers....
UK brewer Timothy Taylor is back in the headlines after winning 'Champion Beer of Britain' at the Great British Beer Festival (GBBF) today. ...
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Guinness, Campari, Vitaminwater and Treasury Wine Estates....
- Interview - Bacardi global marketing boss, whisky
- Has Coca-Cola Jumped From Frying Pan to Fire?
- Constellation grapples with glass as reality bites
- Comment - Hybrid Spirits: Innovation or Laziness?
- Brewers Feel Prolonged Russian Winter
- Diageo doubles intake for spirits start-ups scheme
- Second senior exec to depart Bacardi
- Diageo appoints head for Asia marketing unit
- Portman finds against Diageo "mix it up" tagline
- Bacardi sees North America president step down