Blog: Barr/Britvic deal - in the can?
James Wilmore | 31 October 2012
What's delaying AG Barr and Britvic cracking open the (non-alcoholic) fizzy stuff and announcing formally they will join together in corporate matrimony?
The two groups revealed today they have been granted a second extension to continue their talks over a tie-up.
According to a previous report, the final detail choking up the deal was deciding on a name for the merged company. 'Barr Britvic' and 'Britvic Barr' are the two suggested candidates. But surely such a relatively trivial issue is not still delaying them?
A source close to the situation pooh-poohed this idea. "It's a simple fact that these things just take time," the insider told me. They also flagged that when the initial announcement was made this was at a "very early stage" and the talks have gone from "preliminary" to "advanced".
One analyst thinks it could be the "conservative" and "pragmatic nature" of Barr's board, set against Britvic's slightly sticky situation. This seems a more likely reason.
The Times' leisure and drinks correspondent, Dominic Walsh suggests the deal is nearly there and "all over Barr the shouting".
Only another month, or less, to wait.
Follow me on Twitter @jamescwilmore
Want to know how The Coca-Cola Co-backed Keurig Kold - released in the US yesterday - works?...
While analysts mull the numbers of Anheuser-Busch InBev's impending offer for SABMiller, there's a timely reminder in The Times newspaper this week that the proposed deal may yet fall victim to other ...
Part of my lot on just-drinks is to nail down senior executives within our industry – the more senior the better. I've enjoyed interviewing many of the CEOs within our ranks, but one that I have never...
Sometimes, it's the simple things in life that are the most satisfying. Like a good book and a decent glass of wine......
- Are we kidding ourselves over craft spirits?
- What's behind Brown-Forman's Irish whiskey plans?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- How good a sustainability fit are ABI and SAB?
- Interview - Heineken global activation director
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- Chandon to become "third pillar brand" for MH
- Brown-Forman silent on Southern Comfort report
- Pay freeze anger threatens Carlsberg UK site
- Stoli appoints international marketing director
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research