Blog: Barmy army prompts end of sports sponsorship?
Olly Wehring | 6 August 2009
The start of the fourth Ashes test tomorrow (7 August) up in the north of England has got sports fans here in the UK really quite excited.
The biennial, best-of-five, five-day cricket tournament against Australia travels around the country, having already visited Cardiff, London and Birmingham. Next stop: Leeds.
The last game, however, held last week at Edgbaston in Birmingham, hit the headlines here for the lively - some say raucous - behaviour of the spectators.
Take a look here, then, for the slant the media here has had on the situation.
It's quite clear from the footage that alcohol had been consumed, but what is strange is that, when I went with Coca-Cola GB to see the second test at Lord's in London, the atmosphere was one of almost reverence. And we'd been drinking, too.
So, banning alcohol sponsorship in sport? Is that not a bit... draconian?
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Signs of life in Japan's beer market - Comment
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Bacardi takes stake in Ilegal Mezcal
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends