Blog: Barmy army prompts end of sports sponsorship?
Olly Wehring | 6 August 2009
The start of the fourth Ashes test tomorrow (7 August) up in the north of England has got sports fans here in the UK really quite excited.
The biennial, best-of-five, five-day cricket tournament against Australia travels around the country, having already visited Cardiff, London and Birmingham. Next stop: Leeds.
The last game, however, held last week at Edgbaston in Birmingham, hit the headlines here for the lively - some say raucous - behaviour of the spectators.
Take a look here, then, for the slant the media here has had on the situation.
It's quite clear from the footage that alcohol had been consumed, but what is strange is that, when I went with Coca-Cola GB to see the second test at Lord's in London, the atmosphere was one of almost reverence. And we'd been drinking, too.
So, banning alcohol sponsorship in sport? Is that not a bit... draconian?
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- US craft spirits could be as big as craft beer
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends