Blog: Barley wine... is it fine?
James Wilmore | 8 August 2012
Barley wine. I have to admit, it's a beer style I'm not that familiar with, despite originating from the ancient Greeks, but yesterday in London I got the chance to sup a sample. It wasn't just any old barley wine though. It was the Campaign for Real Ale's (CAMRA) newly-crowned Champion Beer of Britain 2012.
The brew in question was 'No.9 Barley Wine', from Cumbria-based brewery Coniston. Coming in at an abv of 8.5%, which is actually on the weaker side for this style, a third of a pint was plenty. The judges at the Great British Beer Festival said it was "reminiscent of a fine Cognac". It was certainly full-bodied, but perhaps a bit on the sweet side for me.
It was also CAMRA's Champion Winter Beer of Britain, which perhaps tells its own story.
Who knows, it may spark a resurgence in barley wines? Or, it may not.
But, in this Olympic year, it's fitting that CAMRA has again chosen a non-mainstream English beer style as its champion. Perhaps, it's also a two-fingered salute to the mass-produced brews the organisation rails against.
After all, we here in the UK love an underdog.
A couple of months ago, US-based Saltwater Brewery developed 'edible six-pack rings' in an effort to curb threats to wildlife....
Last month, SPI Group unveiled its latest advert for Stolichnaya in the US. Its an amusing little number that caries the instruction: Drink what you want. The “I am man” ad looks to distance Millennia...
Who do you work for? I ask, merely to draw your attention to just-drinks’ company pages....
This weekend sees yet another “International Day” for a drinks category. Lucky us. Anyway, ahead of Sunday’s International Cachaça Day, here’s a wealth of information on Brazil’s national spirit, cour...
- Diageo's Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Wine consumption and its health effects
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- The Coca-Cola Co's Q2/H1 2016 results - Preview
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Diageo names new TR head as Doug Bagley exits
- AB InBev seeks single buyer for European beers
- Gruppo Campari trials Negroni pre-mix
- Scotch drop hits Edrington as FY profits fall
- AB InBev raises SAB cash offer by GBP1 per share
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends