Blog: Bacardi's ice cube of information
Olly Wehring | 6 September 2016
I was full of questions yesterday when reading our news story about Bacardi's Martini Smart Cube. An ice cube-shaped device that can provide real-time information about its consumer? How? What? Why?
Here are some more details to help answer my - and maybe your questions:
- Prototype ice-cube cases were developed using 3D modelling software, then produced using 3D printing. The final product cases were injection-moulded in food-safe resin and sealed with silicon
- The Smart Cube has sides of 25mm in length. Communication between the cube and the bar is via Bluetooth to an iPad Pro equipped with a bespoke web application
- The iPad Pro web app stores data on the cloud and features analytics to track drink activity; for example, the number of Bianco vs Rosso ordered
- The device can limit the number of drinks per consumer
- Detecting drink levels is achieved using capacitive liquid sensors within the cube case
- When a drink reaches a low level, the cube’s transmission beacon switches off momentarily. LEDs in the ice cube then pulse in a colour sequence
- The LEDs and beacon are controlled by a designed printed circuit board and powered by a small battery
- Aerogel - a technology created by NASA - has been used to ensure the device also functions as an ice cube by keeping it cool
- The Aerogel also serves as a floatation aid, keeping the beacon horizontal, which is required for signal transmission strength
And, as for the concept's potential applications?
- Detect when drinks have been tampered with
- Detect a drink's abv
- Can measure consumption
- Can track the number of drinks ordered, to help businesses with stocktaking and to measure drink popularity
- Can group cubes to help locate the friends for whom you ordered a round of drinks
Pretty impressive, huh.
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Brown-Forman's H1 performance by region, brand
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Coca-Cola CEO Muhtar Kent set to stand down
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Brown-Forman's barrel sales take Scotch hit
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends