Blog: Bacardi, Brown-Forman set to wed?
Olly Wehring | 20 April 2009
Bacardi and Brown-Forman are the latest two drinks firms to find the media's M&A spotlight upon them, following a story in last weekend's Sunday Telegraph newspaper.
just-drinks understands from a source familiar with the situation that contact has been made on a potential tie-up.
However, it is also understood that the process is not expected to move that quickly and that, should any deal eventually emerge, it is not considered likely this year.
Strategically, a deal between the two makes sense on paper. Both are medium-sized fish in a pond that contains the heavyweight giants Pernod Ricard and Diageo.
Bacardi and Brown-Forman already have a distribution tie-up in the UK named Bacardi Brown-Forman Brands.
John Wakely, an independent industry analyst with The Angels Share and an ex-investment banker, said he was sceptical about a merger in the near future.
Speaking to delegates at today's World Whiskies Conference in London, Wakely said that, while Brown-Forman may complete due diligence on Bacardi, it remains unclear whether all of Brown-Forman's controlling family want a deal.
There was a big focus on supermarkets and their Scotch offerings this week when a couple of own-brand malts scooped top awards at the International Wines and Spirits Competition (IWSC)....
You can't seem to move at the moment for news of US craft brewers expanding....
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring Coca-Cola Life, Australian Vintage, Pernod Ricard and BrewDog....
Beer consumption in Germany - already pretty impressive - will undoubtedly have enjoyed a spike following celebrations over the nation's FIFA World Cup win. ...
- A tobacco analogy soft drinks will want to embrace
- PepsiCo to consider more re-franchising - CEO
- Cleaning China's seedier side brings Remy balance
- Pernod's Portman Group penalty - a coincidence?
- just The Preview - SABMiller's Q1
- Diageo's Captain Morgan Facebook ad banned
- Diageo faces public consultation over W&M sale
- William Grant silent on Drambuie bid talk
- Bacardi to fight US football team legal action
- Alcohol retailer group appoints new chairman