Blog: Bacardi, Brown-Forman set to wed?
Olly Wehring | 20 April 2009
Bacardi and Brown-Forman are the latest two drinks firms to find the media's M&A spotlight upon them, following a story in last weekend's Sunday Telegraph newspaper.
just-drinks understands from a source familiar with the situation that contact has been made on a potential tie-up.
However, it is also understood that the process is not expected to move that quickly and that, should any deal eventually emerge, it is not considered likely this year.
Strategically, a deal between the two makes sense on paper. Both are medium-sized fish in a pond that contains the heavyweight giants Pernod Ricard and Diageo.
Bacardi and Brown-Forman already have a distribution tie-up in the UK named Bacardi Brown-Forman Brands.
John Wakely, an independent industry analyst with The Angels Share and an ex-investment banker, said he was sceptical about a merger in the near future.
Speaking to delegates at today's World Whiskies Conference in London, Wakely said that, while Brown-Forman may complete due diligence on Bacardi, it remains unclear whether all of Brown-Forman's controlling family want a deal.
Whisk(e)y companies spend a lot of money and effort ageing their products for that premium taste....
PepsiCo created a stir last week with the news it is testing a product called Caleb's Kola, with some in the media claiming it was the beginning of a new “craft soda” category....
SABMiller's bid to widen the appeal of beer is very much in evidence at its latest 'House of Peroni' - with beer cocktails and a bigger bottle for the Italian lager brand on offer. ...
Here's a round-up of the big stories on just-drinks last week, featuring PepsiCo, SABMiller, the Scotch whisky category and the US wine market....
- Comment - How Hand-Made is Tito's Handmade Vodka?
- Heineken to stay "active player" in beer M&A - CFO
- Focus - Pernod Ricard's Q1 sales by brand
- Analysis - Remy's Cognac "dead-cat bounce"
- Time for Heineken to make a European break
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Whisky downturn slows Diageo's Scotch spend
- Beam Suntory, Edrington part ways in Travel Retail
- Pernod Ricard sees sales lift in Q1
- Smirnoff Ice gets India launch