Blog: Bacardi, Brown-Forman set to wed?
Olly Wehring | 20 April 2009
Bacardi and Brown-Forman are the latest two drinks firms to find the media's M&A spotlight upon them, following a story in last weekend's Sunday Telegraph newspaper.
just-drinks understands from a source familiar with the situation that contact has been made on a potential tie-up.
However, it is also understood that the process is not expected to move that quickly and that, should any deal eventually emerge, it is not considered likely this year.
Strategically, a deal between the two makes sense on paper. Both are medium-sized fish in a pond that contains the heavyweight giants Pernod Ricard and Diageo.
Bacardi and Brown-Forman already have a distribution tie-up in the UK named Bacardi Brown-Forman Brands.
John Wakely, an independent industry analyst with The Angels Share and an ex-investment banker, said he was sceptical about a merger in the near future.
Speaking to delegates at today's World Whiskies Conference in London, Wakely said that, while Brown-Forman may complete due diligence on Bacardi, it remains unclear whether all of Brown-Forman's controlling family want a deal.
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- Why did Mast-Jägermeister buy Sidney Frank?
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Pernod Ricard's FY fiscal-2015 - Preview
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research