Blog: Bacardi, Brown-Forman set to wed?
Olly Wehring | 20 April 2009
Bacardi and Brown-Forman are the latest two drinks firms to find the media's M&A spotlight upon them, following a story in last weekend's Sunday Telegraph newspaper.
just-drinks understands from a source familiar with the situation that contact has been made on a potential tie-up.
However, it is also understood that the process is not expected to move that quickly and that, should any deal eventually emerge, it is not considered likely this year.
Strategically, a deal between the two makes sense on paper. Both are medium-sized fish in a pond that contains the heavyweight giants Pernod Ricard and Diageo.
Bacardi and Brown-Forman already have a distribution tie-up in the UK named Bacardi Brown-Forman Brands.
John Wakely, an independent industry analyst with The Angels Share and an ex-investment banker, said he was sceptical about a merger in the near future.
Speaking to delegates at today's World Whiskies Conference in London, Wakely said that, while Brown-Forman may complete due diligence on Bacardi, it remains unclear whether all of Brown-Forman's controlling family want a deal.
This weekend sees yet another “International Day” for a drinks category. Lucky us. Anyway, ahead of Sunday’s International Cachaça Day, here’s a wealth of information on Brazil’s national spirit, cour...
In yet one more sign that The Coca-Cola Co is losing its lustre, the soft drinks maker has, for the first time, fallen out of the top ten of a 'world's biggest brands' ranking....
What a week for stats! Yesterday, the Beverage Marketing Corporation released figures to show the bottled water market had more than doubled over the past 15 years in the US....
The Euro 2016 football tournament is almost upon us....
- The post-Brexit winners and losers - Analysis
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- What does Brexit mean for AB InBev's SAB deal?
- Interview - Seedlip founder, Ben Branson
- Customisable drinks - The next consumer trend
- Carlsberg to close UK distribution arm
- Pernod Ricard exec shuffle - Denis O'Flynn leaves
- C&C Group will be a Brexit victim - analyst
- Pernod Ricard gives Beefeater packaging revamp
- The UK Referendum - just-drinks Live Blog
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends