Blog: Bacardi and Pernod - another battle starts, but who will win the war?
Olly Wehring | 14 August 2006
The uneasy impasse between Bacardi and Pernod Ricard flared up last week, as the ‘Havana Club War’ (as we’ve coined it) kicked off again.
Earlier this month, the US patent authorities blocked the Cuban government’s move to renew its trademark registration of Havana Club in the US.
Bacardi claims it legally owns the rights to the name having bought it from the founding family and last week announced that it was relaunching its own version of Havana Club, initially in Florida. The timing, Bacardi maintains, was coincidental.
The situation is one where both sides are as right or as wrong as the other. Where it goes from here is anyone’s guess, especially with Bacardi pushing for trademark registrations in other markets around the world, while Pernod insists that its rights to the name outside the US are safe.
“We bought the rights from the legitimate owners,” says Bacardi. “No court anywhere has ruled that they’re the rightful owner,” Pernod counters.
Who will win? I daren’t call it. But I’ll tell you who will lose if this isn’t handled deftly, and that’s the consumer. Two products with the same name will dilute brand equity for Pernod, while Bacardi will have a job on its hands explaining the differentiation.
And that’s good for no one.
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the second and final part of Andy Morton's blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol...
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the first part of Andy Morton's daily blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol indu...
Responding to criticism on social media is tough. You've got to engage the consumer without starting an argument and - ideally - get them on side....
Want to know how The Coca-Cola Co-backed Keurig Kold - released in the US yesterday - works?...
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Making consumers the centre of your business
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- SABMiller formally rejects AB InBev's offer
- Brito gives call to arms to SABMiller shareholders
- Carlsberg UK chief James Lousada quits
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research