Blog: Armenia, not Bordeaux, is the home of wine
Chris Mercer | 12 January 2011
Let's hear it for Armenia, home of the oldest known winery.
Bordeaux and Dom Perignon may be more familiar names in the world of wine these days, but they have Armenians to thank for all that, it seems. As I'm sure you've heard, researchers have found evidence of a 6,000-year-old winemaking suite in a cave in Armenia. It is thought to be the oldest known evidence of winemaking.
On learning this, I will admit, my first port of call was Google Maps. Be honest, did you know where this country was before the start of the week? And I'm talking exact location here. Knowing that it used to form the USSR doesn't count.
So, the Old World was once the New World, with a bit of Greek wine production sandwiched inbetween. Have we always been having the same conversations? Did Armenian merchants return from Europe with tales about upstarts having a crack at wine production? Of course, they wouldn't have been Armenian because Armenia didn't technically exist, but you get the gist.
Maybe some years after we manage to properly screw up the world's climate, some future explorer will confirm the existence of once-upon-a-time winemaking tools in the Medoc.
Want to know how to make it to the top of the beverage business? According to Muhtar Kent, it's all about the networking....
A red sticker to a shopper is like a red rag to a bull. And as the masses charge at the deals, UK off licences and supermarkets are finding new and novel ways to entice the herd. ...
To celebrate its 250th anniversary, Cognac brand Hennessy is trumpeting a virtual time capsule, making a parallel between it and a barrel of Cognac....
Rarely do sponsorship deals pay off so quickly. ...
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research