Blog: Armenia, not Bordeaux, is the home of wine
Chris Mercer | 12 January 2011
Let's hear it for Armenia, home of the oldest known winery.
Bordeaux and Dom Perignon may be more familiar names in the world of wine these days, but they have Armenians to thank for all that, it seems. As I'm sure you've heard, researchers have found evidence of a 6,000-year-old winemaking suite in a cave in Armenia. It is thought to be the oldest known evidence of winemaking.
On learning this, I will admit, my first port of call was Google Maps. Be honest, did you know where this country was before the start of the week? And I'm talking exact location here. Knowing that it used to form the USSR doesn't count.
So, the Old World was once the New World, with a bit of Greek wine production sandwiched inbetween. Have we always been having the same conversations? Did Armenian merchants return from Europe with tales about upstarts having a crack at wine production? Of course, they wouldn't have been Armenian because Armenia didn't technically exist, but you get the gist.
Maybe some years after we manage to properly screw up the world's climate, some future explorer will confirm the existence of once-upon-a-time winemaking tools in the Medoc.
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
It's not even available on pre-order yet, but Apple's latest piece of kit has already got a breathalyser app....
just-drinks is now closed for the Easter weekend....
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
- Is Diageo on the Brink of a Brain Drain?
- SABMiller edges Diageo as beer trumps spirits
- Will Keurig Kold come to Coca-Cola Co's Rescue?
- Focus - SABMiller's FY Sales Performance by Region
- Focus - Indonesia: Prohibition in Paradise?
- Rémy Cointreau eyes recovery after Q4 bounceback
- Carlsberg exec joins Diageo as Africa chief steps
- Diageo YTD sales come in flat
- Bacardi hands global advertising to single agency
- Heineken "concerned" as Indonesia enacts beer ban
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review