Blog: Armenia, not Bordeaux, is the home of wine
Chris Mercer | 12 January 2011
Let's hear it for Armenia, home of the oldest known winery.
Bordeaux and Dom Perignon may be more familiar names in the world of wine these days, but they have Armenians to thank for all that, it seems. As I'm sure you've heard, researchers have found evidence of a 6,000-year-old winemaking suite in a cave in Armenia. It is thought to be the oldest known evidence of winemaking.
On learning this, I will admit, my first port of call was Google Maps. Be honest, did you know where this country was before the start of the week? And I'm talking exact location here. Knowing that it used to form the USSR doesn't count.
So, the Old World was once the New World, with a bit of Greek wine production sandwiched inbetween. Have we always been having the same conversations? Did Armenian merchants return from Europe with tales about upstarts having a crack at wine production? Of course, they wouldn't have been Armenian because Armenia didn't technically exist, but you get the gist.
Maybe some years after we manage to properly screw up the world's climate, some future explorer will confirm the existence of once-upon-a-time winemaking tools in the Medoc.
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the second and final part of Andy Morton's blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol...
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the first part of Andy Morton's daily blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol indu...
Responding to criticism on social media is tough. You've got to engage the consumer without starting an argument and - ideally - get them on side....
Want to know how The Coca-Cola Co-backed Keurig Kold - released in the US yesterday - works?...
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Former Pernod Ricard exec joins Wakefield Wines
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research