Blog: Arkansas set for vote that could end dry spell
Andy Morton | 4 September 2014
The US state of Arkansas goes to the polls on 4 November to decide whether to outlaw so-called “dry” counties, meaning ones that don't allow any alcohol sales.
About half of the state's 75 counties are alcohol free, and the practice, which dates from Prohibition days, is still in force in a number of US counties, including, famously, Moore in Tennessee, the home of Jack Daniel's.
Here's a useful guide, courtesy of Wikimedia Commons, that shows the wet and dry areas in the US, for the time being, at least. Red counties are dry, blue are wet and in yellow counties, alcohol sales are either partly prohibited or they contain towns that are dry.
Diageo's decision to sell its wine interests reflects how wine offers fewer synergies with other beverage categories and does not always sit easily within the multi-sector portfolios of global beverag...
Forget gluten-free. Fodmaps are the latest food trend, and if you work in the soft drinks industry it is important to know where you stand with them....
The fact that the three newest members of the Beverage Industry Environmental Roundtable (BIER) are all wine companies suggests that, in spite of unique factors that set the wine category apart from b...
Companies are very protective of their brand image. So it is refreshing to hear Diageo's Garbhan O’Bric, the global brand director for Baileys, speak the unvarnished truth when talking about the lique...
The growth in draft wine sales in the on-premise channel in the US and in Europe offers keg wine specialists, on-premise outlets and wine companies the potential for commercial gain. But, the sustaina...
Alcohol companies love a good movie tie-in. A brush with Hollywood glamour seems to give marketers the warm and fuzzies, judging by the number of deals done over the past few years. The new James Bond...
As part of their sustainability missions, companies across many sectors are placing increasing emphasis on supporting employee volunteering. The wine industry appears to be no exception, if the approa...
just-drinks is in Cannes this week at the Tax Free World Association show. Here's the second part of Andy Morton's blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of the most important dates in the Trave...
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- A game of two halves for Remy Cointreau - Analysis
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- Britvic hits make-or-break time for US Fruit Shoot
- Beam Suntory to sell brandy & sherry to Emperador
- Former Diageo exec joins William Grant in LatAm
- A-B InBev mulls sale of Peroni, Grolsch - report
- This week in spirits & wine
- Poland warning sends Stock Spirits shares tumbling
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Market 2015-2019
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts