Blog: Are MINTs the new BRICs?
James Wilmore | 7 January 2014
Move over the BRICs, the MINTs are here to freshen things up.
Yes, we have a fresh batch of countries that are set to emerge as powerhouses of the world economy, if they continue their current trajectory. Jim O'Neill, the economist who coined the acronym BRICs (Brazil, Russia, India and China), has come up with a new one: the MINTs - that's Mexico, Indonesia, Nigeria and Turkey.
The reason these countries are being talked up, O'Neill says, is because for at least the next 20 years they have good "inner demographics" - which means they'll see an increase in the number of people eligible to work, relative to those not working.
"If Mexico, Indonesia, Nigeria and Turkey get their act together, some of them could match Chinese-style double-digit rates between 2003 and 2008," says O'Neill, writing for the BBC.
Based on Goldman Sachs figures, Nigeria is set to see the biggest lift in GDP, rising from its current position of 39 to 13 by 2050.
Drinks firms are no doubt already on top of these trends. Anheuser-Busch InBev's takeover of Mexico's Grupo Modelo is the obvious example. But Turkey, for example, is far from an easier place for alcohol producers to operate at the moment after a regulatory clampdown last year.
For drinks producers, some of the MINTs may not be as fresh tasting, compared to other industries, for some time yet.
UK-based readers can listen to a BBC Radio 4 series on the MINTs here
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
On Monday, 4 May, just-drinks will be closed, as it is a public holiday in the UK....
To London yesterday evening for what turned out to be quite a treat of a whisky tasting....
- Analysis - Will Diageo call time on wine?
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- Comment - A New Age of VR Marketing?
- Comment - Will the Sweetener Battle turn Sour?
- Diageo considers wine operations sale
- NPD: Bacardi's Bacardi Carta Fuego
- A-B InBev approves new chairman
- Coca-Cola Co promotes North America chief
- Bacardi widens Craigellachie footprint to Asia
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo Plc in Wine (World)
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets