Blog: Are Diageo's stars aligning in Turkey?
Chris Mercer | 11 February 2011
Diageo could be shaping up to enjoy a breakthrough year in Turkey.
For a start, Turkey's parliament is in the final stages of pushing through legislation proposals that would allow the Government to settle a six-year tax dispute with international drinks companies.
Diageo did not trade in Turkey in the first half of its current fiscal year, due to the tax issue.
Secondly, Turkish spirits group Mey Icki is attempting to list on the Istanbul stock exchange. The group is seeking to raise investment and Mey Icki could be Diageo's route back into Turkey if the spirits group's private equity owner, TPG Capital, thinks the price is right.
Diageo was linked to Mey Icki before Christmas. Meanwhile, Diageo's CEO, Paul Walsh, said yesterday that the drinks giant will seek more acquisitions in emerging markets.
Of course, politics in Turkey could yet quash a tax deal and that would put everything on ice. Worth keeping your eye on, however.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Signs of life in Japan's beer market - Comment
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends