Blog: Are Diageo's stars aligning in Turkey?
Chris Mercer | 11 February 2011
Diageo could be shaping up to enjoy a breakthrough year in Turkey.
For a start, Turkey's parliament is in the final stages of pushing through legislation proposals that would allow the Government to settle a six-year tax dispute with international drinks companies.
Diageo did not trade in Turkey in the first half of its current fiscal year, due to the tax issue.
Secondly, Turkish spirits group Mey Icki is attempting to list on the Istanbul stock exchange. The group is seeking to raise investment and Mey Icki could be Diageo's route back into Turkey if the spirits group's private equity owner, TPG Capital, thinks the price is right.
Diageo was linked to Mey Icki before Christmas. Meanwhile, Diageo's CEO, Paul Walsh, said yesterday that the drinks giant will seek more acquisitions in emerging markets.
Of course, politics in Turkey could yet quash a tax deal and that would put everything on ice. Worth keeping your eye on, however.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Ten ways to successfully target older consumers
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- SWA's David Frost to leave for foreign office role
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- Seedlip eyes global growth with export deal
- Altria raises Anheuser-Busch InBev holding
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends