Blog: Are Diageo's stars aligning in Turkey?
Chris Mercer | 11 February 2011
Diageo could be shaping up to enjoy a breakthrough year in Turkey.
For a start, Turkey's parliament is in the final stages of pushing through legislation proposals that would allow the Government to settle a six-year tax dispute with international drinks companies.
Diageo did not trade in Turkey in the first half of its current fiscal year, due to the tax issue.
Secondly, Turkish spirits group Mey Icki is attempting to list on the Istanbul stock exchange. The group is seeking to raise investment and Mey Icki could be Diageo's route back into Turkey if the spirits group's private equity owner, TPG Capital, thinks the price is right.
Diageo was linked to Mey Icki before Christmas. Meanwhile, Diageo's CEO, Paul Walsh, said yesterday that the drinks giant will seek more acquisitions in emerging markets.
Of course, politics in Turkey could yet quash a tax deal and that would put everything on ice. Worth keeping your eye on, however.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Drinks industry's gender failure - Consumer Trends
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Irish whiskey hails bid to relax distillery sales
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends