Blog: Ardbeg's US$16,000 camping trip
Lucy Britner | 6 September 2016
News reaches us today of what has been heralded as the "world's most daring whisky challenge". The Ultimate Ardbeg ARDventurer has been launched this week with an inaugural three-day camping trip. It is described as an "extraordinary odyssey into essential Islay".
Participants start their "odyssey" with an "arduous trek" to Ardbeg's water source, Loch Uigeadail. I wouldn't go so far as to call it arduous - I remember walking up to the loch from the distillery three years ago... the day after running the island's half marathon.
Next up - rowing the casks along the coast - that could be tricky. Islay's coast line is just about the dictionary definition of "rugged". You also have to dig 64kg of peat and cook on an open fire. You get a 12kg ration pack, which will get much lighter once you have consumed some of the Ardbeg 10-year-old within.
Accompanying the first ARDventurers is distillery manager Micky Heads and survival expert Monty Halls.
If you fancy it, get saving: Prices for the trip start from US$16,000.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Soft drinks is losing the recycling game
- Heineken Q1 2017 by region - results data
- Remy Cointreau Fiscal-2017 sales - results data
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Scotch sales set to soar, despite recent struggles
- Pernod Ricard posts solid YTD sales jump - results
- Edrington shifts innovation to US in shake-up
- Pernod Ricard YTD fiscal-2017 sales performance
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Flavoured Powder Drinks in 2017: Confronting an Ageing World