Blog: Ardbeg's US$16,000 camping trip
Lucy Britner | 6 September 2016
News reaches us today of what has been heralded as the "world's most daring whisky challenge". The Ultimate Ardbeg ARDventurer has been launched this week with an inaugural three-day camping trip. It is described as an "extraordinary odyssey into essential Islay".
Participants start their "odyssey" with an "arduous trek" to Ardbeg's water source, Loch Uigeadail. I wouldn't go so far as to call it arduous - I remember walking up to the loch from the distillery three years ago... the day after running the island's half marathon.
Next up - rowing the casks along the coast - that could be tricky. Islay's coast line is just about the dictionary definition of "rugged". You also have to dig 64kg of peat and cook on an open fire. You get a 12kg ration pack, which will get much lighter once you have consumed some of the Ardbeg 10-year-old within.
Accompanying the first ARDventurers is distillery manager Micky Heads and survival expert Monty Halls.
If you fancy it, get saving: Prices for the trip start from US$16,000.
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
William Grant & Sons has reported rising full-year sales and profits as it continues to move away from distributing third-party brands....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Pernod Ricard's US unit has announced the latest permanent addition to its Kahlua portfolio. Chili Chocolate is said to blend rich chocolate with hot chili. ...
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends