Blog: Ardbeg's US$16,000 camping trip
Lucy Britner | 6 September 2016
News reaches us today of what has been heralded as the "world's most daring whisky challenge". The Ultimate Ardbeg ARDventurer has been launched this week with an inaugural three-day camping trip. It is described as an "extraordinary odyssey into essential Islay".
Participants start their "odyssey" with an "arduous trek" to Ardbeg's water source, Loch Uigeadail. I wouldn't go so far as to call it arduous - I remember walking up to the loch from the distillery three years ago... the day after running the island's half marathon.
Next up - rowing the casks along the coast - that could be tricky. Islay's coast line is just about the dictionary definition of "rugged". You also have to dig 64kg of peat and cook on an open fire. You get a 12kg ration pack, which will get much lighter once you have consumed some of the Ardbeg 10-year-old within.
Accompanying the first ARDventurers is distillery manager Micky Heads and survival expert Monty Halls.
If you fancy it, get saving: Prices for the trip start from US$16,000.
In the first part of just-drinks' interview with Bulldog Gin Co's founder & CEO, Anshuman Vohra, we looked at the birth and rise of the brand. In part two, Vohra considers the wider gin segment, Bulld...
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
Experts have said drinks and brands that do not centre around one gender will drive future trends, as modern consumers look to avoid stereotypes. ...
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Edrington’s The Macallan 40 Year Old - NPD
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends