Blog: Anheuser-Busch InBev - No alarms and no surprises
Olly Wehring | 19 October 2009
The biggest story on just-drinks last week was Anheuser-Busch InBev's widely-expected divestment of many of its brewing assets in Eastern Europe. The sale, to private equity group CVC Capital Partners for US$2.2bn, saw the brewing giant sail past its target this year of $7bn-worth of disposals.
Whilst A-B InBev has proved more than adept at getting reasonably good prices for some of its divestments, especially in the current environment, the list of sales suggests that what we are now observing is - and I don't think A-B InBev will hate me for saying this - a rather 'dull' company.
Battlegrounds for A-B InBev now appear to be primarily Latin America - where AmBev has quite a stranglehold in the region's largest beer market, Brazil - North America - where the biggest beer brand is A-B's Budweiser - and Western Europe - where InBev is well-entrenched with the likes of Stella Artois and Beck's.
AmBev, Anheuser-Busch and InBev were always very similar companies in the way they operated. Now that the sales have been completed, I believe we can expect few alarms and even fewer surprises from the company going forward.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Remy Cointreau sets up whisky division
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits