Blog: Anheuser-Busch InBev - No alarms and no surprises
Olly Wehring | 19 October 2009
The biggest story on just-drinks last week was Anheuser-Busch InBev's widely-expected divestment of many of its brewing assets in Eastern Europe. The sale, to private equity group CVC Capital Partners for US$2.2bn, saw the brewing giant sail past its target this year of $7bn-worth of disposals.
Whilst A-B InBev has proved more than adept at getting reasonably good prices for some of its divestments, especially in the current environment, the list of sales suggests that what we are now observing is - and I don't think A-B InBev will hate me for saying this - a rather 'dull' company.
Battlegrounds for A-B InBev now appear to be primarily Latin America - where AmBev has quite a stranglehold in the region's largest beer market, Brazil - North America - where the biggest beer brand is A-B's Budweiser - and Western Europe - where InBev is well-entrenched with the likes of Stella Artois and Beck's.
AmBev, Anheuser-Busch and InBev were always very similar companies in the way they operated. Now that the sales have been completed, I believe we can expect few alarms and even fewer surprises from the company going forward.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo rolls out vegan Baileys Almande Almondmilk
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends