Blog: And the best beer in the UK is...
Chris Mercer | 3 August 2010
The bearded overlords at the Campaign for Real Ale have named the best beer in the UK as Harvest Pale from Nottingham's Castle Rock Brewery.
Well, it's been named as the best real ale. And, bearing in mind that most CAMRA members would rather drink petrol than any beer that has been styled as a 'brand', this competition probably doesn't even include all ales.
Still, as a Nottingham-born lad, this news caught my eye today.
Castle Rock Brewery is one of several small-time brewers that are, alongside the likes of Greene King, driving renewed interest in ale in the UK.
CAMRA released a survey to mark the opening of the Great British Beer Festival in London today and it shows that more and more adults have at least sampled real ale.
In the midlands, the heartland of several brewers from Castle Rock to Marston's to Molson Coors, almost two thirds of adults surveyed by CAMRA said they had tried real ale. This compares to only a third two years ago.
In the Northeast of the England, around three quarters of adults have sampled real ale, up from one in three two years ago.
Of course, we don't know how many of these people actually drink real ale on a regular basis. But, with more breweries in operation in the UK than at any time since the Second World War, there are clearly positive signs at a time when the beer market as a whole is under pressure.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Drinks industry's gender failure - Consumer Trends
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Irish whiskey hails bid to relax distillery sales
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends