Blog: And that's - hic - how I met your mother
Olly Wehring | 27 November 2006
If you log onto just-drinks with any regularity, you get to see an awful lot of my awful mugshot. How, you may wonder, did a face like that ever have any success with the ladies. Well, scientists - obviously - may have the answer, according to an article I stumbled on the BBC.
The key lies in what is commonly known as beer goggles. For those who have never seen a gremlin mysteriously transform into the beauty or Prince Charming of your dreams as a night out has progressed, this is the phenomenon that seems to transform ugly people into stunners after a few drinks.
The University of Manchester claims to have worked out a formula to determine the strength of your beer goggles on any one night - and alcohol is only one of the factors to take into account.
The equation, which can be seen in full here, also factors in the level of light in the pub or club, the drinker’s own eyesight and the room’s smokiness. The distance between the two people also plays a part.
So, for your best chance of pulling, particularly if you are aesthetically-challenged: frequent dark, smoky rooms where plenty of drunk people hang out, keep your distance from everyone and only make eyes at other people who appear to be squinting.
At last - a foolproof plan.
Could it happen? According to this report, a section of the beer community wants to ditch the word craft. They prefer instead the term “Indie” for brewers they believe follow the enlightened path of t...
The global elite were in Switzerland last week for the World Economic Forum in Davos, the annual corporate huddle for the rich and powerful. The CEO of The Coca-Cola Co, Muhtar Kent, was there too, de...
With The Coca-Cola Co stealing yesterday's limelight with its new united marketing strategy for brand Coke yesterday, a Forbes interview with PepsiCo North America Beverages' new CMO, Seth Kaufman, sl...
It is a bold attempt to regain a measure of control in the ever-spiraling debate about sugar. But will The Coca-Cola Co's new marketing strategy - which for the first time ties all of the Coke family ...
- Aus wine industry pays price for past failures
- What's in store for Super Bowl 50 - Focus
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- Carlsberg's Q4 & full-year results - Preview
- Ten things to know about spirits in the US
- William Grant & Sons restructures US team
- Diageo completes wine category exit in US
- Beam Suntory targets Kenya with Edrington/FIX
- Diageo's Oban Little Bay single malt Scotch - NPD
- Diageo's Orphan Barrel The Gifted Horse - NPD
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research