Blog: And that's - hic - how I met your mother
Olly Wehring | 27 November 2006
If you log onto just-drinks with any regularity, you get to see an awful lot of my awful mugshot. How, you may wonder, did a face like that ever have any success with the ladies. Well, scientists - obviously - may have the answer, according to an article I stumbled on the BBC.
The key lies in what is commonly known as beer goggles. For those who have never seen a gremlin mysteriously transform into the beauty or Prince Charming of your dreams as a night out has progressed, this is the phenomenon that seems to transform ugly people into stunners after a few drinks.
The University of Manchester claims to have worked out a formula to determine the strength of your beer goggles on any one night - and alcohol is only one of the factors to take into account.
The equation, which can be seen in full here, also factors in the level of light in the pub or club, the drinker’s own eyesight and the room’s smokiness. The distance between the two people also plays a part.
So, for your best chance of pulling, particularly if you are aesthetically-challenged: frequent dark, smoky rooms where plenty of drunk people hang out, keep your distance from everyone and only make eyes at other people who appear to be squinting.
At last - a foolproof plan.
A couple of months ago, US-based Saltwater Brewery developed 'edible six-pack rings' in an effort to curb threats to wildlife....
Last month, SPI Group unveiled its latest advert for Stolichnaya in the US. Its an amusing little number that caries the instruction: Drink what you want. The “I am man” ad looks to distance Millennia...
Who do you work for? I ask, merely to draw your attention to just-drinks’ company pages....
This weekend sees yet another “International Day” for a drinks category. Lucky us. Anyway, ahead of Sunday’s International Cachaça Day, here’s a wealth of information on Brazil’s national spirit, cour...
- Diageo's Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Diageo's FY performance by region - Focus
- Wine consumption and its health effects
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Time to take stock of Constellation's Corona
- Diageo sets sights on alcohol-alternative trends
- SABMiller puts brakes on A-B InBev integration
- Diageo names new TR head as Doug Bagley exits
- AB InBev seeks single buyer for European beers
- Brexit "not a big deal" for Scotch - Diageo CEO
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends