Blog: And that's - hic - how I met your mother
Olly Wehring | 27 November 2006
If you log onto just-drinks with any regularity, you get to see an awful lot of my awful mugshot. How, you may wonder, did a face like that ever have any success with the ladies. Well, scientists - obviously - may have the answer, according to an article I stumbled on the BBC.
The key lies in what is commonly known as beer goggles. For those who have never seen a gremlin mysteriously transform into the beauty or Prince Charming of your dreams as a night out has progressed, this is the phenomenon that seems to transform ugly people into stunners after a few drinks.
The University of Manchester claims to have worked out a formula to determine the strength of your beer goggles on any one night - and alcohol is only one of the factors to take into account.
The equation, which can be seen in full here, also factors in the level of light in the pub or club, the drinker’s own eyesight and the room’s smokiness. The distance between the two people also plays a part.
So, for your best chance of pulling, particularly if you are aesthetically-challenged: frequent dark, smoky rooms where plenty of drunk people hang out, keep your distance from everyone and only make eyes at other people who appear to be squinting.
At last - a foolproof plan.
The UK health lobby is always very vocal on alcohol at this time of year, predictably so, and this year is no different. ...
“Ah, yes, you've hit upon a very sensitive area,” says Thomas, my guide at the Carlsberg Brewery in Copenhagen last Friday....
Experimentation has long been a watchword in the Scotch whisky industry. It is what has given consumers the huge range of ageing options, from refill hogsheads to virgin oak to Sherry butts....
Advertising can be a strange beast. ...
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future