Blog: And now, the end is near... Chris' Final Blog
Chris Brook-Carter | 8 November 2005
It’s hard to believe that I have been with just-drinks now for almost six years, over four of those as editor. That adds up to well over 200 weekly newsletters, around 750 features and close to 15,000 news stories that I have written, edited or overseen on this Website. In that time, we’ve covered the end of two drinks empires in Seagram and Allied Domecq, tracked the rise of child obesity and alcohol abuse as they’ve become the burning issues of the day, and broken stories in every sector of the drinks industry.
And all the while the website has grown. There were 600 readers the day I joined. The just-drinks’ community now includes some 120,000 individuals from all fields of the business. The only certainty that I have learnt from all this is that things keep changing. And they have done here too.
We have constantly looked to evolve just-drinks to keep it at the forefront of business publishing and, from next week, the latest phase of that development will begin, when I hand over the daily reins of our Website to its new editor Olly Wehring. We are also joined by a new news editor, Dean Best, who many of you will know from the leading print magazine Wine & Spirit International, and an expanded reporting team.
As managing editor, I will still be taking a healthy interest in the drinks industry and just-drinks. But I will also be heavily involved from now on in our sister Websites just-auto, just-food and just-style meaning that, while it’s certainly not goodbye, you will be seeing a lot less of me on a day-to-day basis.
So in this, my last blog, it only goes for me to say thank you to all our readers, who have made the last six years so enjoyable, and good luck to the new look just-drinks team under Olly, who has already topped me this week by securing an exclusive interview with Diageo CEO Paul Walsh, more of which can be seen in our features section.
Yesterday was long. Very, very long. What started with an alarm in London at 0530 GMT ended with a Bacardi eight-year-old nightcap in Puerto Rico at 0730 GMT the following morning....
This weekend, Bacardi is hosting a three-day music event on the private island of Palomino just off the coast of Puerto Rico....
Warmest thanks to all of you who filled in our annual readers' survey this month. The results are very important for us to learn from and look to improve our service to you....
Today's news that German spirits firm Mast-Jägermeister has joined UK responsible drinking organisation The Portman Group may raise eyebrows in some quarters....
- Scotch's Slipping Crown: Convenient for Diageo?
- Comment - Has Scotch Whisky Jumped the Shark?
- Can Beer Learn from Keurig and Nespresso?
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD
- C&C Group 'puzzled' by Spirit Pub Co rejection
- Diageo partner Beckham turned down Beck's deal
- Whisky downturn slows Diageo's Scotch spend
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- EXCLUSIVE - Mast-Jaegermeister, TWE join watchdog
- Beam Suntory to roll out "Scotch-infused" Bourbon
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Wine in the United Kingdom
- Spirit Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts