Blog: And now, the end is near... Chris' Final Blog
Chris Brook-Carter | 8 November 2005
It’s hard to believe that I have been with just-drinks now for almost six years, over four of those as editor. That adds up to well over 200 weekly newsletters, around 750 features and close to 15,000 news stories that I have written, edited or overseen on this Website. In that time, we’ve covered the end of two drinks empires in Seagram and Allied Domecq, tracked the rise of child obesity and alcohol abuse as they’ve become the burning issues of the day, and broken stories in every sector of the drinks industry.
And all the while the website has grown. There were 600 readers the day I joined. The just-drinks’ community now includes some 120,000 individuals from all fields of the business. The only certainty that I have learnt from all this is that things keep changing. And they have done here too.
We have constantly looked to evolve just-drinks to keep it at the forefront of business publishing and, from next week, the latest phase of that development will begin, when I hand over the daily reins of our Website to its new editor Olly Wehring. We are also joined by a new news editor, Dean Best, who many of you will know from the leading print magazine Wine & Spirit International, and an expanded reporting team.
As managing editor, I will still be taking a healthy interest in the drinks industry and just-drinks. But I will also be heavily involved from now on in our sister Websites just-auto, just-food and just-style meaning that, while it’s certainly not goodbye, you will be seeing a lot less of me on a day-to-day basis.
So in this, my last blog, it only goes for me to say thank you to all our readers, who have made the last six years so enjoyable, and good luck to the new look just-drinks team under Olly, who has already topped me this week by securing an exclusive interview with Diageo CEO Paul Walsh, more of which can be seen in our features section.
This weekend sees yet another “International Day” for a drinks category. Lucky us. Anyway, ahead of Sunday’s International Cachaça Day, here’s a wealth of information on Brazil’s national spirit, cour...
In yet one more sign that The Coca-Cola Co is losing its lustre, the soft drinks maker has, for the first time, fallen out of the top ten of a 'world's biggest brands' ranking....
What a week for stats! Yesterday, the Beverage Marketing Corporation released figures to show the bottled water market had more than doubled over the past 15 years in the US....
The Euro 2016 football tournament is almost upon us....
- The post-Brexit winners and losers - Analysis
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- What does Brexit mean for AB InBev's SAB deal?
- Interview - Seedlip founder, Ben Branson
- Customisable drinks - The next consumer trend
- Carlsberg to close UK distribution arm
- Pernod Ricard exec shuffle - Denis O'Flynn leaves
- Major spirits M&A remains out of sight - analyst
- C&C Group will be a Brexit victim - analyst
- Pernod Ricard gives Beefeater packaging revamp
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends