Blog: And now, the end is near... Chris' Final Blog
Chris Brook-Carter | 8 November 2005
It’s hard to believe that I have been with just-drinks now for almost six years, over four of those as editor. That adds up to well over 200 weekly newsletters, around 750 features and close to 15,000 news stories that I have written, edited or overseen on this Website. In that time, we’ve covered the end of two drinks empires in Seagram and Allied Domecq, tracked the rise of child obesity and alcohol abuse as they’ve become the burning issues of the day, and broken stories in every sector of the drinks industry.
And all the while the website has grown. There were 600 readers the day I joined. The just-drinks’ community now includes some 120,000 individuals from all fields of the business. The only certainty that I have learnt from all this is that things keep changing. And they have done here too.
We have constantly looked to evolve just-drinks to keep it at the forefront of business publishing and, from next week, the latest phase of that development will begin, when I hand over the daily reins of our Website to its new editor Olly Wehring. We are also joined by a new news editor, Dean Best, who many of you will know from the leading print magazine Wine & Spirit International, and an expanded reporting team.
As managing editor, I will still be taking a healthy interest in the drinks industry and just-drinks. But I will also be heavily involved from now on in our sister Websites just-auto, just-food and just-style meaning that, while it’s certainly not goodbye, you will be seeing a lot less of me on a day-to-day basis.
So in this, my last blog, it only goes for me to say thank you to all our readers, who have made the last six years so enjoyable, and good luck to the new look just-drinks team under Olly, who has already topped me this week by securing an exclusive interview with Diageo CEO Paul Walsh, more of which can be seen in our features section.
The Coca-Cola Co has had its fair share of critics this year, from health campaigners to investor David Winters, who this week called for CEO Muhtar Kent to be replaced....
The UK health lobby is always very vocal on alcohol at this time of year, predictably so, and this year is no different. ...
“Ah, yes, you've hit upon a very sensitive area,” says Thomas, my guide at the Carlsberg Brewery in Copenhagen last Friday....
Experimentation has long been a watchword in the Scotch whisky industry. It is what has given consumers the huge range of ageing options, from refill hogsheads to virgin oak to Sherry butts....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Bacardi, Pernod Ricard welcome US-Cuba deal
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future