Blog: Anarchy in the UK?
Olly Wehring | 19 May 2009
While it was only last month that the British Beer and Pubs Association highlighted the plight of brewers in the UK, today's announcement that the MD of Heineken's business in the country is stepping down can only confirm just how tough it is in the country right now.
That means that three of the country's biggest brewers have lost their head people in the space of little more than a year.
While the exact circumstances of each undoubtedly vary, all three departures have been set against a backdrop of a beer sector in turmoil.
British Beer & Pub Association figures show that beer sales by volume in the UK fell by more than 5% in 2008. Sales fell 8% in the first three months of this year, with declines in both the off- and on-trade making it the industry's worst quarterly performance since 1997.
As Lenin famously once asked, what is to be done?
Any thoughts, people?
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
I was full of questions yesterday when reading our news story about Bacardi's Martini Smart Cube. An ice cube-shaped device that can provide real-time information about its consumer? How? What? Why? H...
News reaches us today of what has been heralded as the "world's most daring whisky challenge". The Ultimate Ardbeg ARDventurer has been launched this week with an inaugural three-day camping trip....
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- Diageo investment paying off for Captain Morgan
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends