Blog: Anarchy in the UK?
Olly Wehring | 19 May 2009
While it was only last month that the British Beer and Pubs Association highlighted the plight of brewers in the UK, today's announcement that the MD of Heineken's business in the country is stepping down can only confirm just how tough it is in the country right now.
That means that three of the country's biggest brewers have lost their head people in the space of little more than a year.
While the exact circumstances of each undoubtedly vary, all three departures have been set against a backdrop of a beer sector in turmoil.
British Beer & Pub Association figures show that beer sales by volume in the UK fell by more than 5% in 2008. Sales fell 8% in the first three months of this year, with declines in both the off- and on-trade making it the industry's worst quarterly performance since 1997.
As Lenin famously once asked, what is to be done?
Any thoughts, people?
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Remy Cointreau sets up whisky division
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits