Blog: Anarchy in the UK?
Olly Wehring | 19 May 2009
While it was only last month that the British Beer and Pubs Association highlighted the plight of brewers in the UK, today's announcement that the MD of Heineken's business in the country is stepping down can only confirm just how tough it is in the country right now.
That means that three of the country's biggest brewers have lost their head people in the space of little more than a year.
While the exact circumstances of each undoubtedly vary, all three departures have been set against a backdrop of a beer sector in turmoil.
British Beer & Pub Association figures show that beer sales by volume in the UK fell by more than 5% in 2008. Sales fell 8% in the first three months of this year, with declines in both the off- and on-trade making it the industry's worst quarterly performance since 1997.
As Lenin famously once asked, what is to be done?
Any thoughts, people?
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Edrington’s The Macallan 40 Year Old - NPD
- CCBA partner "in place by 2018" - Coca-Cola
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends