Blog: An iconic drinks blog
Chris Mercer | 11 October 2011
Here is an iconic drinks blog written in iconic times by a member of an iconic team of drinks journalists. If there's one thing you need to remember, it's that what you're reading is iconic.
Or is it? I think you know the answer. Since when does everything the drinks industry does have to be considered iconic, or, to quote the dictionary definition, something "worthy of veneration"?
Perhaps it is just me, or perhaps things really are getting worse. So many people overuse the term that it feels a little harsh picking out individual examples.
But, to illustrate the point here's some recent examples from my inbox: the gold and green colours on Cobra beer were this week described as iconic (that's the colours 'gold' and 'green'); Constellation Brands last week described Ruffino wine as iconic; while Diageo has recently "scoured the globe" to search for the city with the most iconic nightlife.
What does any of this mean? I can't tell you, but I can tell you that it's all becoming too much. I'm overwhelmed with iconic emotions and my ability to venerate is wearing thin. So, please, stop it.
Some people in India believe alcohol should be more difficult to purchase. Last month, the state of Bihar halted all alcohol sales as its chief minister made good on an election promise. ...
Greetings from Zurich. Here as a guest of Heineken's Amstel brand, I'm due to sit down later today with the group's senior global director for international brands, Walter Drenth....
Drinks companies spend a lot of money on trying to predict trends. At last night's Worshipful Company of Distillers City debate, any strategists in the audience got a bit of forecasting for free....
I'll admit to being partial to an Aperol Spritz now and again, more usually in the summer months, sitting outside, shades on, slowly turning more golden/rusty....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Category Trends - Scotch Whisky V
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Diageo's Smirnoff Red, White & Berry - NPD
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends