Blog: An iconic drinks blog
Chris Mercer | 11 October 2011
Here is an iconic drinks blog written in iconic times by a member of an iconic team of drinks journalists. If there's one thing you need to remember, it's that what you're reading is iconic.
Or is it? I think you know the answer. Since when does everything the drinks industry does have to be considered iconic, or, to quote the dictionary definition, something "worthy of veneration"?
Perhaps it is just me, or perhaps things really are getting worse. So many people overuse the term that it feels a little harsh picking out individual examples.
But, to illustrate the point here's some recent examples from my inbox: the gold and green colours on Cobra beer were this week described as iconic (that's the colours 'gold' and 'green'); Constellation Brands last week described Ruffino wine as iconic; while Diageo has recently "scoured the globe" to search for the city with the most iconic nightlife.
What does any of this mean? I can't tell you, but I can tell you that it's all becoming too much. I'm overwhelmed with iconic emotions and my ability to venerate is wearing thin. So, please, stop it.
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- It's not all bad for Diageo - Analysis
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Brand
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Tesco pulls small carton-size Ribena, Rubicon, Cap
- Whyte & Mackay brings RumChata to UK
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research