Blog: An iconic drinks blog
Chris Mercer | 11 October 2011
Here is an iconic drinks blog written in iconic times by a member of an iconic team of drinks journalists. If there's one thing you need to remember, it's that what you're reading is iconic.
Or is it? I think you know the answer. Since when does everything the drinks industry does have to be considered iconic, or, to quote the dictionary definition, something "worthy of veneration"?
Perhaps it is just me, or perhaps things really are getting worse. So many people overuse the term that it feels a little harsh picking out individual examples.
But, to illustrate the point here's some recent examples from my inbox: the gold and green colours on Cobra beer were this week described as iconic (that's the colours 'gold' and 'green'); Constellation Brands last week described Ruffino wine as iconic; while Diageo has recently "scoured the globe" to search for the city with the most iconic nightlife.
What does any of this mean? I can't tell you, but I can tell you that it's all becoming too much. I'm overwhelmed with iconic emotions and my ability to venerate is wearing thin. So, please, stop it.
A couple of months ago, US-based Saltwater Brewery developed 'edible six-pack rings' in an effort to curb threats to wildlife....
Last month, SPI Group unveiled its latest advert for Stolichnaya in the US. Its an amusing little number that caries the instruction: Drink what you want. The “I am man” ad looks to distance Millennia...
Who do you work for? I ask, merely to draw your attention to just-drinks’ company pages....
This weekend sees yet another “International Day” for a drinks category. Lucky us. Anyway, ahead of Sunday’s International Cachaça Day, here’s a wealth of information on Brazil’s national spirit, cour...
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Coca-Cola Beverages Africa - A new powerhouse
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- Diageo starts formal talks over UK pension cuts
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- AB InBev faces US$7bn price rise for SABMiller
- Brown-Forman takes distribution in Spain in-house
- AB InBev halts VAIP incentive plan
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends