Blog: An iconic drinks blog
Chris Mercer | 11 October 2011
Here is an iconic drinks blog written in iconic times by a member of an iconic team of drinks journalists. If there's one thing you need to remember, it's that what you're reading is iconic.
Or is it? I think you know the answer. Since when does everything the drinks industry does have to be considered iconic, or, to quote the dictionary definition, something "worthy of veneration"?
Perhaps it is just me, or perhaps things really are getting worse. So many people overuse the term that it feels a little harsh picking out individual examples.
But, to illustrate the point here's some recent examples from my inbox: the gold and green colours on Cobra beer were this week described as iconic (that's the colours 'gold' and 'green'); Constellation Brands last week described Ruffino wine as iconic; while Diageo has recently "scoured the globe" to search for the city with the most iconic nightlife.
What does any of this mean? I can't tell you, but I can tell you that it's all becoming too much. I'm overwhelmed with iconic emotions and my ability to venerate is wearing thin. So, please, stop it.
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Premiumisation comes to bottled water - NPD
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Private equity poised for SABMiller Europe buy?
- AB InBev to sell SABMiller Cent'l, E Europe assets
- Carlsberg's Shed Head and Bad Apple craft - NPD
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Carbonates in India