Blog: An iconic drinks blog
Chris Mercer | 11 October 2011
Here is an iconic drinks blog written in iconic times by a member of an iconic team of drinks journalists. If there's one thing you need to remember, it's that what you're reading is iconic.
Or is it? I think you know the answer. Since when does everything the drinks industry does have to be considered iconic, or, to quote the dictionary definition, something "worthy of veneration"?
Perhaps it is just me, or perhaps things really are getting worse. So many people overuse the term that it feels a little harsh picking out individual examples.
But, to illustrate the point here's some recent examples from my inbox: the gold and green colours on Cobra beer were this week described as iconic (that's the colours 'gold' and 'green'); Constellation Brands last week described Ruffino wine as iconic; while Diageo has recently "scoured the globe" to search for the city with the most iconic nightlife.
What does any of this mean? I can't tell you, but I can tell you that it's all becoming too much. I'm overwhelmed with iconic emotions and my ability to venerate is wearing thin. So, please, stop it.
Forget gluten-free. Fodmaps are the latest food trend, and if you work in the soft drinks industry it is important to know where you stand with them....
Companies are very protective of their brand image. So it is refreshing to hear Diageo's Garbhan O’Bric, the global brand director for Baileys, speak the unvarnished truth when talking about the lique...
Alcohol companies love a good movie tie-in. A brush with Hollywood glamour seems to give marketers the warm and fuzzies, judging by the number of deals done over the past few years. The new James Bond...
just-drinks is in Cannes this week at the Tax Free World Association show. Here's the second part of Andy Morton's blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of the most important dates in the Trave...
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- Constellation and Ballast Point's "sticker shock"
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Diageo Australia appoints commercial head
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- A-B InBev to "kick the tyres" at Coca-Cola
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market: News and Events September 2015