Blog: Allied's allies
Chris Brook-Carter | 22 August 2003
For to be honest is seems extraordinary that Allied's shares should have jumped nearly 14p to 395p yesterday on the rumours that Brown-Forman was planning a takeover of its bigger rival. You would think investors would have heard the boy cry wolf enough times over a possible merger/takeover of Allied in the last few years.
Only a matter of months ago it was Bacardi who were linked to the Bristol-based group, now we are led to believe that a Jack Daniel's/Beefeater alliance is only a few signatures away - possibly with the help of Bacardi.
Certainly on the surface a Brown-Forman/Allied alliance is an attractive proposition, so if there is truth in the whispers then the excitement would be understandable.
But analysts believe a bidder is likely to need to pay 450p per share, or US$7.66 billion, for Allied, which seems a bigger bite than Brown-Forman could swallow, particularly as the American is not a pure drinks player, running among other businesses a luggage company.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- "Beer and weed are complements" - analyst
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends