Blog: Allied's allies
Chris Brook-Carter | 22 August 2003
For to be honest is seems extraordinary that Allied's shares should have jumped nearly 14p to 395p yesterday on the rumours that Brown-Forman was planning a takeover of its bigger rival. You would think investors would have heard the boy cry wolf enough times over a possible merger/takeover of Allied in the last few years.
Only a matter of months ago it was Bacardi who were linked to the Bristol-based group, now we are led to believe that a Jack Daniel's/Beefeater alliance is only a few signatures away - possibly with the help of Bacardi.
Certainly on the surface a Brown-Forman/Allied alliance is an attractive proposition, so if there is truth in the whispers then the excitement would be understandable.
But analysts believe a bidder is likely to need to pay 450p per share, or US$7.66 billion, for Allied, which seems a bigger bite than Brown-Forman could swallow, particularly as the American is not a pure drinks player, running among other businesses a luggage company.
Here's a round-up of the big stories on just-drinks last week, featuring SABMiller, Orangina Schweppes, PepsiCo and Scottish devolution....
Knowledge is power, or so they claim. So, with that in mind, here's an infographic, courtesy of Australian company Hangover Revivol, that breaks down exactly what is behind the common hangover....
Here's a round-up of the top stories on just-drinks last week, featuring William Grant & Sons, the Southern hemisphere's winemakers, SABMiller and Heineken, and Coke Light....
How many beer mugs can one man carry? ...
- Scottish Independence and Scotch Whisky
- Whisk(e)y leads vodka in US, but for how long?
- Wine in the UK: Tell Us Something We Don't Know
- SABMiller spurned by Heineken: The start of the en
- Comment - Heineken's 'No' Cuts SABMiller Options
- LIVE BLOG: Industry responds to Scotland 'No' vote
- Diageo ups Johnnie Walker Formula One presence
- A-B InBev shakes up Euro units, UK head steps down
- Bacardi lifts curtain on Bombay Sapphire distiller
- Diageo settles Explorers Club trademark dispute