Blog: Allied's allies
Chris Brook-Carter | 22 August 2003
For to be honest is seems extraordinary that Allied's shares should have jumped nearly 14p to 395p yesterday on the rumours that Brown-Forman was planning a takeover of its bigger rival. You would think investors would have heard the boy cry wolf enough times over a possible merger/takeover of Allied in the last few years.
Only a matter of months ago it was Bacardi who were linked to the Bristol-based group, now we are led to believe that a Jack Daniel's/Beefeater alliance is only a few signatures away - possibly with the help of Bacardi.
Certainly on the surface a Brown-Forman/Allied alliance is an attractive proposition, so if there is truth in the whispers then the excitement would be understandable.
But analysts believe a bidder is likely to need to pay 450p per share, or US$7.66 billion, for Allied, which seems a bigger bite than Brown-Forman could swallow, particularly as the American is not a pure drinks player, running among other businesses a luggage company.
The Coca-Cola Co has had its fair share of critics this year, from health campaigners to investor David Winters, who this week called for CEO Muhtar Kent to be replaced....
The UK health lobby is always very vocal on alcohol at this time of year, predictably so, and this year is no different. ...
“Ah, yes, you've hit upon a very sensitive area,” says Thomas, my guide at the Carlsberg Brewery in Copenhagen last Friday....
Experimentation has long been a watchword in the Scotch whisky industry. It is what has given consumers the huge range of ageing options, from refill hogsheads to virgin oak to Sherry butts....
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part V: Wine
- just Five Years Ago - Belvedere Group's Bumpy Ride
- just the Ten - Editor's Viewpoints of 2014
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Campari to bag EUR19m with "non-core" assets sale
- Pernod agrees Caribe Cooler sale to Grupo Bepensa
- Pernod wins consent for Glenlivet upgrade
- Thailand pulls back from New Year alcohol ban
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018
- The IWSR Yearbook 2014
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research