Blog: Allied's allies
Chris Brook-Carter | 22 August 2003
For to be honest is seems extraordinary that Allied's shares should have jumped nearly 14p to 395p yesterday on the rumours that Brown-Forman was planning a takeover of its bigger rival. You would think investors would have heard the boy cry wolf enough times over a possible merger/takeover of Allied in the last few years.
Only a matter of months ago it was Bacardi who were linked to the Bristol-based group, now we are led to believe that a Jack Daniel's/Beefeater alliance is only a few signatures away - possibly with the help of Bacardi.
Certainly on the surface a Brown-Forman/Allied alliance is an attractive proposition, so if there is truth in the whispers then the excitement would be understandable.
But analysts believe a bidder is likely to need to pay 450p per share, or US$7.66 billion, for Allied, which seems a bigger bite than Brown-Forman could swallow, particularly as the American is not a pure drinks player, running among other businesses a luggage company.
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Guinness Nigeria sees YTD sales, profits tumble
- Bacardi recruits ex-News International exec
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends