Blog: Allied's allies
Chris Brook-Carter | 22 August 2003
For to be honest is seems extraordinary that Allied's shares should have jumped nearly 14p to 395p yesterday on the rumours that Brown-Forman was planning a takeover of its bigger rival. You would think investors would have heard the boy cry wolf enough times over a possible merger/takeover of Allied in the last few years.
Only a matter of months ago it was Bacardi who were linked to the Bristol-based group, now we are led to believe that a Jack Daniel's/Beefeater alliance is only a few signatures away - possibly with the help of Bacardi.
Certainly on the surface a Brown-Forman/Allied alliance is an attractive proposition, so if there is truth in the whispers then the excitement would be understandable.
But analysts believe a bidder is likely to need to pay 450p per share, or US$7.66 billion, for Allied, which seems a bigger bite than Brown-Forman could swallow, particularly as the American is not a pure drinks player, running among other businesses a luggage company.
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
It's not even available on pre-order yet, but Apple's latest piece of kit has already got a breathalyser app....
just-drinks is now closed for the Easter weekend....
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
- Is Diageo on the Brink of a Brain Drain?
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q3 & YTD
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard unveils Havana Club ad campaign
- Global Tequila market hits new highs in 2014
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets