Blog: Allied's allies
Chris Brook-Carter | 22 August 2003
For to be honest is seems extraordinary that Allied's shares should have jumped nearly 14p to 395p yesterday on the rumours that Brown-Forman was planning a takeover of its bigger rival. You would think investors would have heard the boy cry wolf enough times over a possible merger/takeover of Allied in the last few years.
Only a matter of months ago it was Bacardi who were linked to the Bristol-based group, now we are led to believe that a Jack Daniel's/Beefeater alliance is only a few signatures away - possibly with the help of Bacardi.
Certainly on the surface a Brown-Forman/Allied alliance is an attractive proposition, so if there is truth in the whispers then the excitement would be understandable.
But analysts believe a bidder is likely to need to pay 450p per share, or US$7.66 billion, for Allied, which seems a bigger bite than Brown-Forman could swallow, particularly as the American is not a pure drinks player, running among other businesses a luggage company.
Want to know how to make it to the top of the beverage business? According to Muhtar Kent, it's all about the networking....
A red sticker to a shopper is like a red rag to a bull. And as the masses charge at the deals, UK off licences and supermarkets are finding new and novel ways to entice the herd. ...
To celebrate its 250th anniversary, Cognac brand Hennessy is trumpeting a virtual time capsule, making a parallel between it and a barrel of Cognac....
Rarely do sponsorship deals pay off so quickly. ...
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- 5 reasons why Constellation's Meiomi buy works
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Pernod Ricard allays Havana Club shortage fears
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research