Blog: All packed up
Chris Brook-Carter | 6 August 2004
Even Coca-Cola has bowed to the unique pressures that Germany’s mandatory deposit law on mono-use drinks packaging has placed on operators there.
The Coca-Cola Company has agreed to sell its Coca-Cola, Fanta and Sprite products in 1.25-liter bottles exclusively designed with the P logo imprinted on its neck for the German discount supermarket chain, Plus.
Because of the introduction of a 2003 deposit law, German supermarket chains want to sell and take back only packaging which is unique to their stores. Until recently, Coke was not willing to potentially dilute its brand image by selling its products in a bottle exclusive to an individual chain.
However, even a brand like Coke was suffering from the decision, which was resulting in the absence of its products at some supermarket chains (PepsiCo is already present in several chains with their own versions of bottles).
Some people in India believe alcohol should be more difficult to purchase. Last month, the state of Bihar halted all alcohol sales as its chief minister made good on an election promise. ...
Greetings from Zurich. Here as a guest of Heineken's Amstel brand, I'm due to sit down later today with the group's senior global director for international brands, Walter Drenth....
Drinks companies spend a lot of money on trying to predict trends. At last night's Worshipful Company of Distillers City debate, any strategists in the audience got a bit of forecasting for free....
I'll admit to being partial to an Aperol Spritz now and again, more usually in the summer months, sitting outside, shades on, slowly turning more golden/rusty....
- Industry is following the pack to patriotic party
- How has craft beer put the squeeze on world beers?
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Diageo unveils first European Johnnie Walker House
- Consumers want brands that challenge them - study
- Heineken signs JV deal in Philippines
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends