Blog: Alcohol and the kids - what's an industry to do?
Olly Wehring | 3 February 2009
The recommendation by the UK's chief medical officer last week that children under the age of 15 should never be given alcohol has highlighted a major conundrum facing the drinks industry over here.
Obviously, we are somewhat hamstrung when it comes to saying anything to counter the CMO's opinion. Indeed, as the European Spirits Organisation, CEPS, told me last week: “The European spirits industry sharply condemns any misuse of its products - this especially includes consumption by minors”.
And yet, here in the UK, 'binge drinking' hits the headlines almost daily.
Is this advise really the best way forward to quell the scourge of binge drinking? In southern Europe, for example, many youngsters are introduced to a tipple by their parents virtually at birth. And they don't seem to be throwing up in gutters and getting into fights on buses every Friday night when they hit legal drinking age.
I'd love to hear your thoughts on this, so do drop me a line, whatever your opinion.
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
I was full of questions yesterday when reading our news story about Bacardi's Martini Smart Cube. An ice cube-shaped device that can provide real-time information about its consumer? How? What? Why? H...
News reaches us today of what has been heralded as the "world's most daring whisky challenge". The Ultimate Ardbeg ARDventurer has been launched this week with an inaugural three-day camping trip....
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends