Blog: Alcohol and the kids - what's an industry to do?
Olly Wehring | 3 February 2009
The recommendation by the UK's chief medical officer last week that children under the age of 15 should never be given alcohol has highlighted a major conundrum facing the drinks industry over here.
Obviously, we are somewhat hamstrung when it comes to saying anything to counter the CMO's opinion. Indeed, as the European Spirits Organisation, CEPS, told me last week: “The European spirits industry sharply condemns any misuse of its products - this especially includes consumption by minors”.
And yet, here in the UK, 'binge drinking' hits the headlines almost daily.
Is this advise really the best way forward to quell the scourge of binge drinking? In southern Europe, for example, many youngsters are introduced to a tipple by their parents virtually at birth. And they don't seem to be throwing up in gutters and getting into fights on buses every Friday night when they hit legal drinking age.
I'd love to hear your thoughts on this, so do drop me a line, whatever your opinion.
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
- Cannabis – A clear and present danger to alcohol
- Is Irish whiskey ready to recognise its potential?
- Interview - Bernstein analyst Trevor Stirling
- The European beer market - Focus
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- Diageo appoints first programmatic marketing head
- Corporate Relations Director to leave Diageo
- Bacardi names new global communications head
- Diageo strike threat postponed with fresh vote
- Diageo, Nolets unveil latest Ketel One campaign