Blog: Alcohol advertising on the internet
Olly Wehring | 18 June 2009
France's Senate has at last seen sense and decided to overturn a bizarre attempt to ban alcohol publicity on the internet.
French Senators this week voted to amend France's Loi Evin, which has governed alcohol publicity since 1991, to include the internet.
The move should mark the endgame in what has been nearly 18 months of limbo for wine, beer and spirits firms operating in France.
In February 2008, the National Association for the Prevention of Alcoholism and Addiction won a court battle against Heineken, arguing that its online publicity was illegal. France's Loi Evin makes no mention of the internet, therefore internet publicity is not legal, argued the campaign group.
A Paris court judge agreed, sparking a bizarre chapter in the history of alcohol in France.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Edrington’s The Macallan 40 Year Old - NPD
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends