Blog: Air cargo bomb threat has far-reaching consequences
Chris Brook-Carter | 2 November 2010
The UK's Home Secretary Theresa May has announced a review of all aspects of air freight security in the UK. The news follows Friday's discovery of a bomb on a US-bound UPS cargo plane at East Midlands airport and a similar bomb on a FedEx plane in Dubai.
It is too early to start hypothesising how this will affect industry in the UK, and the food and drink business ships only a small percentage of its imports by air. Indeed, when just-food questioned the country's retailers back in April, when the Icelandic ash cloud halted air travel, the likes of Asda and Tesco insisted that between only 1% and 2% of its food arrived by air.
However, the food and drinks logistics industry is facing the prospect of tighter security regulations and with it increased costs, at a time when rising transportation bills are already a major concern.
Although the likes of The British International Freight Association have insisted that the UK's regulations are stringent and meet high safety standards, a number of other dissenting voices can also be heard, claiming that the shipping of air freight remains the weak link in airline safety.
So whilst there have been calming calls to resist a knee-jerk reaction to the latest al-Qaeda threat, the political consequences of doing nothing remain too high. The food and drinks industry should brace itself for disruption and an inflating logistics bill.
Are you in the food or drinks logistic business? What are your thoughts on this posting?
Spotted in Havana this week – a healthy stock of Pernod Ricard's Havanista rum. ...
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Much Work to do on Packaging in the US
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- George Clooney launches Tequila Casamigos in UK
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report