Blog: AG Barr and Rockstar - A curious marriage
Olly Wehring | 6 November 2007
Respectable Scottish soft drinks company AG Barr recently signed up to a five-year partnership in the UK with US family firm Rockstar. But is Barr aware of their reputation and background?
Here are the personalities behind the energy drink about to be launched into the UK.
Husband, father, author (of the book Liberalism is a Mental Disorder) and creator of the Rockstar brand, is the outspoken US radio presenter Michael Savage (real name Michael Weiner), who was once sacked from his television show after telling a gay caller to “get AIDS and die”.
Savage is also known for airing views such as describing same-sex adoption as “child abuse”, transgender people as “freaks” and said he thinks that Latinos and Arabs “breed like rabbits” as well as referring to developing nations as “the turd world”.
Next, meet Savage's wife, Janet Weiner, also Rockstar's financial director. Weiner once received a police warning for swearing at film-makers who were making a documentary about the homeless, calling them “communist scum”. She has a son who also works for the company. His name is Russ.
The same Russ Weiner who, with his father Savage, co-founded the right-wing Paul Revere Society and ran for the Californian State Assembly on the Society’s platform, in an effort to deport illegal immigrants.
Could socially conscious consumers feel more inclined to boycott the brand if it found out where the profits went?
Let's see how the union fares.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Coca-Cola Amatil FY 2016 - results data
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Bacardi takes stake in Ilegal Mezcal
- Heineken hit by Greek compensation claim
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends