Blog: AG Barr and Rockstar - A curious marriage
Olly Wehring | 6 November 2007
Respectable Scottish soft drinks company AG Barr recently signed up to a five-year partnership in the UK with US family firm Rockstar. But is Barr aware of their reputation and background?
Here are the personalities behind the energy drink about to be launched into the UK.
Husband, father, author (of the book Liberalism is a Mental Disorder) and creator of the Rockstar brand, is the outspoken US radio presenter Michael Savage (real name Michael Weiner), who was once sacked from his television show after telling a gay caller to “get AIDS and die”.
Savage is also known for airing views such as describing same-sex adoption as “child abuse”, transgender people as “freaks” and said he thinks that Latinos and Arabs “breed like rabbits” as well as referring to developing nations as “the turd world”.
Next, meet Savage's wife, Janet Weiner, also Rockstar's financial director. Weiner once received a police warning for swearing at film-makers who were making a documentary about the homeless, calling them “communist scum”. She has a son who also works for the company. His name is Russ.
The same Russ Weiner who, with his father Savage, co-founded the right-wing Paul Revere Society and ran for the Californian State Assembly on the Society’s platform, in an effort to deport illegal immigrants.
Could socially conscious consumers feel more inclined to boycott the brand if it found out where the profits went?
Let's see how the union fares.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research