Blog: AG Barr and Rockstar - A curious marriage
Olly Wehring | 6 November 2007
Respectable Scottish soft drinks company AG Barr recently signed up to a five-year partnership in the UK with US family firm Rockstar. But is Barr aware of their reputation and background?
Here are the personalities behind the energy drink about to be launched into the UK.
Husband, father, author (of the book Liberalism is a Mental Disorder) and creator of the Rockstar brand, is the outspoken US radio presenter Michael Savage (real name Michael Weiner), who was once sacked from his television show after telling a gay caller to “get AIDS and die”.
Savage is also known for airing views such as describing same-sex adoption as “child abuse”, transgender people as “freaks” and said he thinks that Latinos and Arabs “breed like rabbits” as well as referring to developing nations as “the turd world”.
Next, meet Savage's wife, Janet Weiner, also Rockstar's financial director. Weiner once received a police warning for swearing at film-makers who were making a documentary about the homeless, calling them “communist scum”. She has a son who also works for the company. His name is Russ.
The same Russ Weiner who, with his father Savage, co-founded the right-wing Paul Revere Society and ran for the Californian State Assembly on the Society’s platform, in an effort to deport illegal immigrants.
Could socially conscious consumers feel more inclined to boycott the brand if it found out where the profits went?
Let's see how the union fares.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Alcohol brands and the 'better-for-you' trend
- Ten ways to successfully target older consumers
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- Heineken's YTD performance by region - Focus
- SWA's David Frost to leave for foreign office role
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- Diageo unveils new Bundaberg Rum packaging
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends