Blog: AG Barr and Rockstar - A curious marriage
Olly Wehring | 6 November 2007
Respectable Scottish soft drinks company AG Barr recently signed up to a five-year partnership in the UK with US family firm Rockstar. But is Barr aware of their reputation and background?
Here are the personalities behind the energy drink about to be launched into the UK.
Husband, father, author (of the book Liberalism is a Mental Disorder) and creator of the Rockstar brand, is the outspoken US radio presenter Michael Savage (real name Michael Weiner), who was once sacked from his television show after telling a gay caller to “get AIDS and die”.
Savage is also known for airing views such as describing same-sex adoption as “child abuse”, transgender people as “freaks” and said he thinks that Latinos and Arabs “breed like rabbits” as well as referring to developing nations as “the turd world”.
Next, meet Savage's wife, Janet Weiner, also Rockstar's financial director. Weiner once received a police warning for swearing at film-makers who were making a documentary about the homeless, calling them “communist scum”. She has a son who also works for the company. His name is Russ.
The same Russ Weiner who, with his father Savage, co-founded the right-wing Paul Revere Society and ran for the Californian State Assembly on the Society’s platform, in an effort to deport illegal immigrants.
Could socially conscious consumers feel more inclined to boycott the brand if it found out where the profits went?
Let's see how the union fares.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Remy Cointreau sets up whisky division
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits