Blog: AG Barr and Rockstar - A curious marriage
Olly Wehring | 6 November 2007
Respectable Scottish soft drinks company AG Barr recently signed up to a five-year partnership in the UK with US family firm Rockstar. But is Barr aware of their reputation and background?
Here are the personalities behind the energy drink about to be launched into the UK.
Husband, father, author (of the book Liberalism is a Mental Disorder) and creator of the Rockstar brand, is the outspoken US radio presenter Michael Savage (real name Michael Weiner), who was once sacked from his television show after telling a gay caller to “get AIDS and die”.
Savage is also known for airing views such as describing same-sex adoption as “child abuse”, transgender people as “freaks” and said he thinks that Latinos and Arabs “breed like rabbits” as well as referring to developing nations as “the turd world”.
Next, meet Savage's wife, Janet Weiner, also Rockstar's financial director. Weiner once received a police warning for swearing at film-makers who were making a documentary about the homeless, calling them “communist scum”. She has a son who also works for the company. His name is Russ.
The same Russ Weiner who, with his father Savage, co-founded the right-wing Paul Revere Society and ran for the Californian State Assembly on the Society’s platform, in an effort to deport illegal immigrants.
Could socially conscious consumers feel more inclined to boycott the brand if it found out where the profits went?
Let's see how the union fares.
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- Jose Cuervo applies to go public
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends