Blog: Adverts, with an accent on the ridiculous
Andy Morton | 28 November 2012
Drinks advertising campaigns never fail to surprise in their approach to consumers.
The industry may be global, covering Kansas to Karachi, but as far as advertising agencies and marketing departments are concerned Scotch is still made by rugged Scots in pretty glens and Bourbon by lumberjacks on their day off.
Basically, we're all a bunch of hometown rubes.
Which is why consumers are subjected to an unflinching barrage of accents and dialects in alcohol advertising. Some of them are good. Take, for example, this Canadian Club digital ad released today, with some solid Canadian inflections from the actor on duty. Some are less good. Have a look at this butchering of the Scottish accent, which in comparison makes Mel Gibson's Braveheart sound like Susan Boyle.
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends