Blog: Adverts, with an accent on the ridiculous
Andy Morton | 28 November 2012
Drinks advertising campaigns never fail to surprise in their approach to consumers.
The industry may be global, covering Kansas to Karachi, but as far as advertising agencies and marketing departments are concerned Scotch is still made by rugged Scots in pretty glens and Bourbon by lumberjacks on their day off.
Basically, we're all a bunch of hometown rubes.
Which is why consumers are subjected to an unflinching barrage of accents and dialects in alcohol advertising. Some of them are good. Take, for example, this Canadian Club digital ad released today, with some solid Canadian inflections from the actor on duty. Some are less good. Have a look at this butchering of the Scottish accent, which in comparison makes Mel Gibson's Braveheart sound like Susan Boyle.
A couple of months ago, US-based Saltwater Brewery developed 'edible six-pack rings' in an effort to curb threats to wildlife....
Last month, SPI Group unveiled its latest advert for Stolichnaya in the US. Its an amusing little number that caries the instruction: Drink what you want. The “I am man” ad looks to distance Millennia...
Who do you work for? I ask, merely to draw your attention to just-drinks’ company pages....
This weekend sees yet another “International Day” for a drinks category. Lucky us. Anyway, ahead of Sunday’s International Cachaça Day, here’s a wealth of information on Brazil’s national spirit, cour...
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- Coca-Cola Beverages Africa - A new powerhouse
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- AB InBev faces US$7bn price rise for SABMiller
- Diageo starts formal talks over UK pension cuts
- Brown-Forman takes distribution in Spain in-house
- AB InBev halts VAIP incentive plan
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends