Blog: Adverts, with an accent on the ridiculous
Andy Morton | 28 November 2012
Drinks advertising campaigns never fail to surprise in their approach to consumers.
The industry may be global, covering Kansas to Karachi, but as far as advertising agencies and marketing departments are concerned Scotch is still made by rugged Scots in pretty glens and Bourbon by lumberjacks on their day off.
Basically, we're all a bunch of hometown rubes.
Which is why consumers are subjected to an unflinching barrage of accents and dialects in alcohol advertising. Some of them are good. Take, for example, this Canadian Club digital ad released today, with some solid Canadian inflections from the actor on duty. Some are less good. Have a look at this butchering of the Scottish accent, which in comparison makes Mel Gibson's Braveheart sound like Susan Boyle.
Spotted in Havana this week – a healthy stock of Pernod Ricard's Havanista rum. ...
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Much Work to do on Packaging in the US
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- George Clooney launches Tequila Casamigos in UK
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report