Blog: Adverts, with an accent on the ridiculous
Andy Morton | 28 November 2012
Drinks advertising campaigns never fail to surprise in their approach to consumers.
The industry may be global, covering Kansas to Karachi, but as far as advertising agencies and marketing departments are concerned Scotch is still made by rugged Scots in pretty glens and Bourbon by lumberjacks on their day off.
Basically, we're all a bunch of hometown rubes.
Which is why consumers are subjected to an unflinching barrage of accents and dialects in alcohol advertising. Some of them are good. Take, for example, this Canadian Club digital ad released today, with some solid Canadian inflections from the actor on duty. Some are less good. Have a look at this butchering of the Scottish accent, which in comparison makes Mel Gibson's Braveheart sound like Susan Boyle.
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- It's not all bad for Diageo - Analysis
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Brand
- Diageo upbeat on Scotch prospects
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Edrington appoints new board director
- Britvic appoints SABMiller's Dunn as CFO
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Q2 drags on half-year for Anheuser-Busch InBev
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research