Blog: Adil, Diageo break ties
Olly Wehring | 6 March 2009
Speculation has surrounded the sudden departure of Diageo India MD Asif Adil this week.
India's Economic Times (ET) newspaper yesterday (5 March) cited Diageo sources in the country as saying that Adil's departure is linked to "a certain breach in internal code of conduct".
Diageo has been investigating misconduct at its Indian subsidiary, according to the ET, with allegations including "leveraging company operations for personal or family gain".
Regarding Adil's departure, just-drinks understands from a source familiar with the situation that both sides are legally bound to silence by a confidentiality clause.
Adil's exit is understood to have been sudden and the circumstances surrounding his departure remain under review.
The ET claimed yesterday that two more senior Diageo India officials have offered their resignations in the last few days, altough no names were given.
Diageo is naturally keen to focus on the new man in charge in India, Roland Abella. Previously head of Diageo in the Middle East and North Africa, Diageo is very enthusiastic about the appointment of Abella, who is known for his good people management and dynamic approach to business.
His arrival may prove to be the silver lining in a rather sticky situation.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Remy Cointreau sets up whisky division
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits