Blog: Abstention and illegal alcohol, all in a day's work
James Wilmore | 16 May 2014
A few facts jumped out at me while perusing the World Health Organization's 376-page(!) report on alcohol this week.
Before losing concentration and dreaming of a glass of something gold and cold, I was surprised to learn that a staggering 62% of the world's population (aged 15+) had not touched a drop of alcohol in 2010, when the study was done.
Apparently, women are "more often" lifetime abstainers than men. The report noted there was "considerable variation" in prevalence of abstention across WHO regions. Essentially, Western Europe and the US makes up for countries where consumption is low.
Meanwhile, a quarter of consumption (24.8%) was unrecorded, ie. "homemade alcohol, illegally produced or sold outside normal government controls". This is an issue drinks companies often talk about with particular regard to Africa.
With companies keen to convert drinkers to legitimate products, it's no wonder the opportunity in the continent is being talked up so fervently
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- Heineken's new range foreshadows craft's future
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Gruppo Campari Q4 & FY 2016 results - Preview
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Heineken hit by Greek compensation claim
- Bacardi takes stake in Ilegal Mezcal
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends