Blog: Abstention and illegal alcohol, all in a day's work
James Wilmore | 16 May 2014
A few facts jumped out at me while perusing the World Health Organization's 376-page(!) report on alcohol this week.
Before losing concentration and dreaming of a glass of something gold and cold, I was surprised to learn that a staggering 62% of the world's population (aged 15+) had not touched a drop of alcohol in 2010, when the study was done.
Apparently, women are "more often" lifetime abstainers than men. The report noted there was "considerable variation" in prevalence of abstention across WHO regions. Essentially, Western Europe and the US makes up for countries where consumption is low.
Meanwhile, a quarter of consumption (24.8%) was unrecorded, ie. "homemade alcohol, illegally produced or sold outside normal government controls". This is an issue drinks companies often talk about with particular regard to Africa.
With companies keen to convert drinkers to legitimate products, it's no wonder the opportunity in the continent is being talked up so fervently
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Brown-Forman's H1 performance by region, brand
- Coca-Cola CEO Muhtar Kent set to stand down
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Brown-Forman's barrel sales take Scotch hit
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends