Blog: Abstention and illegal alcohol, all in a day's work
James Wilmore | 16 May 2014
A few facts jumped out at me while perusing the World Health Organization's 376-page(!) report on alcohol this week.
Before losing concentration and dreaming of a glass of something gold and cold, I was surprised to learn that a staggering 62% of the world's population (aged 15+) had not touched a drop of alcohol in 2010, when the study was done.
Apparently, women are "more often" lifetime abstainers than men. The report noted there was "considerable variation" in prevalence of abstention across WHO regions. Essentially, Western Europe and the US makes up for countries where consumption is low.
Meanwhile, a quarter of consumption (24.8%) was unrecorded, ie. "homemade alcohol, illegally produced or sold outside normal government controls". This is an issue drinks companies often talk about with particular regard to Africa.
With companies keen to convert drinkers to legitimate products, it's no wonder the opportunity in the continent is being talked up so fervently
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- Diageo strengthens Charmer Sunbelt distribution
- Heineken adds to UK on-trade footprint
- Brewers of Europe recruits communications director
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research