Blog: Abstention and illegal alcohol, all in a day's work
James Wilmore | 16 May 2014
A few facts jumped out at me while perusing the World Health Organization's 376-page(!) report on alcohol this week.
Before losing concentration and dreaming of a glass of something gold and cold, I was surprised to learn that a staggering 62% of the world's population (aged 15+) had not touched a drop of alcohol in 2010, when the study was done.
Apparently, women are "more often" lifetime abstainers than men. The report noted there was "considerable variation" in prevalence of abstention across WHO regions. Essentially, Western Europe and the US makes up for countries where consumption is low.
Meanwhile, a quarter of consumption (24.8%) was unrecorded, ie. "homemade alcohol, illegally produced or sold outside normal government controls". This is an issue drinks companies often talk about with particular regard to Africa.
With companies keen to convert drinkers to legitimate products, it's no wonder the opportunity in the continent is being talked up so fervently
One, perhaps minor, consequence of the conflict in Ukraine appears to be a fall in sales of Russian vodka in the country....
Diageo has jumped onboard Google's latest interactive maps and is opening up the virtual doors to four of its distilleries. ...
A very early start today, with Carla Errazuriz from Concha y Toro's fine wine division picking me up from our Santiago hotel at 0700....
Ever wondered how a whiskey still gets built? ...
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Pernod unveils Jameson bottle for St Patrick's Day
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages