Blog: Absolut returns
Chris Brook-Carter | 21 April 2004
Happy Birthday to Absolut Vodka today. Although the drink came of age some while back, today marks 25 years since the first order for Absolut was made from the US.
The first order was for 700 cases and the very first bottle was sold in Boston. In 2003, 72.5m litres of Absolut were shipped to 126 markets around the world. To date, over 1 billion bottles have left the plant in Åhus.
Though its place in marketing history is assured now, success was not always a given and many had their doubts about a Swedish vodka at the time, especially one in a unique clear glass bottle without a paper label, which made it nearly invisible on the shelf in the store.
Even in Åhus, there was some uncertainty about how the product would be received, and to be on the safe side, business started on a small scale. The bottles were filled by hand and each bottle was individually wrapped in tissue paper before being packed in cases and shipped to the US.
But the first ad, Absolut Perfection, was published in 1980 and the rest, as they say, is history. The advertising campaign now is still based on the same concept, has won over 350 awards around the world, and included collaborations with artists such as Andy Warhol, Keith Haring, Damien Hirst as well as fashion designers such as Gianni Versace, Jean-Paul Gaultier and David Cameron.
In short, an achievement well worth a birthday toast.
The long-running spat between US and Czech brewers stepped up a notch this week after the Czech president described American beer as “filthy water”....
I've stopped short of covering it as a product launch story on just-drinks, but take a look at this. Released this month in the UK, Snuffle Dog Beer is already available in 25 markets....
PepsiCo received high praise when it announced it was to launch its stevia-based Pepsi extension True exclusively on Amazon in the US....
Sean 'Diddy' Combs, the US rapper and entrepreneur, has publicly turned against his apparent former favourite Tequlia brand, Patron, now that he is joint-owner of DeLeón Tequila....
- Can Coca-Cola fuel SABMiller's soft drinks story?
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Is “Craft” the Next Big Thing for Soft Drinks?
- Petropolis Finally Moving into SABMiller's View?
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Diageo confirms Australia abv drops
- Pernod launches online Ballantine's "experiment"
- Global vodka sales slip in 2013 - research
- SABMiller returns to Brazil with Petropolis tie-up
- Smirnoff tops UK shopping list - figures
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018