Blog: Absolut returns
Chris Brook-Carter | 21 April 2004
Happy Birthday to Absolut Vodka today. Although the drink came of age some while back, today marks 25 years since the first order for Absolut was made from the US.
The first order was for 700 cases and the very first bottle was sold in Boston. In 2003, 72.5m litres of Absolut were shipped to 126 markets around the world. To date, over 1 billion bottles have left the plant in Åhus.
Though its place in marketing history is assured now, success was not always a given and many had their doubts about a Swedish vodka at the time, especially one in a unique clear glass bottle without a paper label, which made it nearly invisible on the shelf in the store.
Even in Åhus, there was some uncertainty about how the product would be received, and to be on the safe side, business started on a small scale. The bottles were filled by hand and each bottle was individually wrapped in tissue paper before being packed in cases and shipped to the US.
But the first ad, Absolut Perfection, was published in 1980 and the rest, as they say, is history. The advertising campaign now is still based on the same concept, has won over 350 awards around the world, and included collaborations with artists such as Andy Warhol, Keith Haring, Damien Hirst as well as fashion designers such as Gianni Versace, Jean-Paul Gaultier and David Cameron.
In short, an achievement well worth a birthday toast.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- The Cognac Category - Everything you need to know
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- High-end Cognac making recovery in China - Pernod
- "Beer and weed are complements" - analyst
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends