Blog: Absolut returns
Chris Brook-Carter | 21 April 2004
Happy Birthday to Absolut Vodka today. Although the drink came of age some while back, today marks 25 years since the first order for Absolut was made from the US.
The first order was for 700 cases and the very first bottle was sold in Boston. In 2003, 72.5m litres of Absolut were shipped to 126 markets around the world. To date, over 1 billion bottles have left the plant in Åhus.
Though its place in marketing history is assured now, success was not always a given and many had their doubts about a Swedish vodka at the time, especially one in a unique clear glass bottle without a paper label, which made it nearly invisible on the shelf in the store.
Even in Åhus, there was some uncertainty about how the product would be received, and to be on the safe side, business started on a small scale. The bottles were filled by hand and each bottle was individually wrapped in tissue paper before being packed in cases and shipped to the US.
But the first ad, Absolut Perfection, was published in 1980 and the rest, as they say, is history. The advertising campaign now is still based on the same concept, has won over 350 awards around the world, and included collaborations with artists such as Andy Warhol, Keith Haring, Damien Hirst as well as fashion designers such as Gianni Versace, Jean-Paul Gaultier and David Cameron.
In short, an achievement well worth a birthday toast.
The Coca-Cola Co has had its fair share of critics this year, from health campaigners to investor David Winters, who this week called for CEO Muhtar Kent to be replaced....
The UK health lobby is always very vocal on alcohol at this time of year, predictably so, and this year is no different. ...
“Ah, yes, you've hit upon a very sensitive area,” says Thomas, my guide at the Carlsberg Brewery in Copenhagen last Friday....
Experimentation has long been a watchword in the Scotch whisky industry. It is what has given consumers the huge range of ageing options, from refill hogsheads to virgin oak to Sherry butts....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Coca-Cola to get boost from Monster in China
- CCE shows faith in Coca-Cola Life with full launch
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Bacardi, Pernod Ricard welcome US-Cuba deal
- United Spirits bids for distribution deal approval
- Gruppo Campari US unit head steps down
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018