Blog: AB InBev's Brito might not recognise a hop, but he knows a good deal
Andy Morton | 29 September 2015
While analysts mull the numbers of Anheuser-Busch InBev's impending offer for SABMiller, there's a timely reminder in The Times newspaper this week that the proposed deal may yet fall victim to other vagaries.
There is, says the newspaper's business editor Ian King, a huge difference in corporate culture between the two firms. While SABMiller's management are passionate about beer (King uses the “late, great” former CEO of SABMiller, Graham Mackay, as an example), A-B InBev's head Carlos Brito is unlikely to “recognise a hop if he stepped on one”.
King's inference is clear - AB InBev consists of pen-pushers interested only in the bottom line, and how much can be squeezed out of it.
Whether that difference in outlook will derail a deal others in the industry have said is almost definitely going to happen remains to be seen. King hopes it will - but in business the numbers always seem to win out.
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends