Blog: AB InBev's Brito might not recognise a hop, but he knows a good deal
Andy Morton | 29 September 2015
While analysts mull the numbers of Anheuser-Busch InBev's impending offer for SABMiller, there's a timely reminder in The Times newspaper this week that the proposed deal may yet fall victim to other vagaries.
There is, says the newspaper's business editor Ian King, a huge difference in corporate culture between the two firms. While SABMiller's management are passionate about beer (King uses the “late, great” former CEO of SABMiller, Graham Mackay, as an example), A-B InBev's head Carlos Brito is unlikely to “recognise a hop if he stepped on one”.
King's inference is clear - AB InBev consists of pen-pushers interested only in the bottom line, and how much can be squeezed out of it.
Whether that difference in outlook will derail a deal others in the industry have said is almost definitely going to happen remains to be seen. King hopes it will - but in business the numbers always seem to win out.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Remy Cointreau sets up whisky division
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits