Blog: AB InBev's Brito might not recognise a hop, but he knows a good deal
Andy Morton | 29 September 2015
While analysts mull the numbers of Anheuser-Busch InBev's impending offer for SABMiller, there's a timely reminder in The Times newspaper this week that the proposed deal may yet fall victim to other vagaries.
There is, says the newspaper's business editor Ian King, a huge difference in corporate culture between the two firms. While SABMiller's management are passionate about beer (King uses the “late, great” former CEO of SABMiller, Graham Mackay, as an example), A-B InBev's head Carlos Brito is unlikely to “recognise a hop if he stepped on one”.
King's inference is clear - AB InBev consists of pen-pushers interested only in the bottom line, and how much can be squeezed out of it.
Whether that difference in outlook will derail a deal others in the industry have said is almost definitely going to happen remains to be seen. King hopes it will - but in business the numbers always seem to win out.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Asahi has readied the launch of the first extension of the Peroni Nastro Azzuro beer brand in the US....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo rolls out vegan Baileys Almande Almondmilk
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends