Blog: A Wild Turkey Night
Chris Mercer | 30 June 2011
I spent yesterday evening in the company of 77-year-old Wild Turkey master distiller Jimmy Russell.
It's an old phrase, but it seems wholly appropriate to say that what Jimmy Russell doesn't know about Bourbon, isn't worth knowing. I met him last night in the Skylon bar and restaurant over some of the new Wild Turkey 81, Wild Turkey Rye whiskey and a couple of mint juleps.
One of the most interesting things was hearing about the Bourbon sector has shrunk down the years. When Russell started, there were close to 30 Bourbon companies and nigh-on 50 distilleries. Now, though, there are only six companies and nine distilleries.
Compared to Scotch, Bourbon is tiny. Yet, more and more people want a piece of it - as Gruppo Campari showed by snatching Wild Turkey from Pernod Ricard a couple of years ago.
Our evening was made more amusing by watching Russell, at the end of night, trying to persuade a team of Diageo employees (randomly, on the next table) to appreciate the finer aspects of Wild Turkey. Once a charmer, always a charmer, it seems.
Of course, it's ok for Diageo employees to drink any Bourbon that they choose. It's one of the few categories in which Diageo is not present....Yet.
Heineken is gearing up for a product launch in Australia this month. But exactly what the product is, the brewer is not saying....
It's Summer in the northern hemisphere and the beer festivals are in full swing. Even the famously secluded North Korea is letting its regulation-cut hair down with the Taedonggang Beer Festival, name...
Drinks companies that use celebrities and influencers to endorse products via social media could be in line for some rule changes....
A couple of months ago, US-based Saltwater Brewery developed 'edible six-pack rings' in an effort to curb threats to wildlife....
- Job cuts not the whole story at AB InBev - Comment
- The decline of the flagship beer brand - Comment
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- Interview- Veltins export manager Udo Bruns
- Concha y Toro's Q2 by region, brand - Focus
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- Craft Brew Alliance poised for AB InBev takeover?
- Pernod deal rescues Corby's FY
- Diageo's Guinness Rye Pale Ale - NPD
- AB InBev to cull 5,500 jobs after SABMiller buy
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages